Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

The check engine light magician...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can get the codes read at just about any auto parts store for free. Write down the numbers, not just the text message. Post back here and we will tell you what they mean. Save that diagnostic fee as you seem to have lots of other things going on.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only codes that read were the ones that I posted in my original message. Is there something else I can get from them?

The dealership is supposed to completely go over the vehicle and tell us what's wrong in addition to the diagnostic. When my husband called he gave them the codes and they told my husband that it could be numerous things from a simple emissions fix to something as serious as the engine. They have to look at it to be sure... which I guess costs $107. We just may have to put it off as we probably don't have the money at this moment (for the next two weeks or so) to fix whatever is wrong with it.

So stressful!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The 1477 code relates to the electronic throttle. On Discoverys, pressing on the gas pedal moves the throttle valve. An electric motor is used to do that on the Freelander. We'll hope for the best in a few weeks.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
its either a coil gone bad or coolant leaking into the cylinder. pull the spark plug, if its orange or green from coolant the engine is junk, basically the heads are pitted and leaking.
Just because the heads are pitted doesn't mean they are junk. You can have them filled in then machined down. We do it on our 928's all the time due to the astronomical cost of a head on a 928.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
4wd Low

Thanks we're hoping for the best at the diagnostic next week. We drove it yesterday on a quick errand and it was very sluggish but seemed to pick up at faster speeds. We don't have a lot of money and we just bought it recently ao we've been saying some prayers...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ka_crawford
.[ . . snip . . ..] We don't have a lot of money and we just bought it recently ao we've been saying some prayers...
Not to judge ,because cars are a very emotional thing, but if you don't have a lot of money and don't have diagnostic skills (and sounds like tools), an exotic, foreign vehicle with very expensive dealer repair costs, small dealer network and low presence of used parts (in comparison to domestic choices) might not have been the best choice of a vehicle.

Just sayin'.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM
4wd Low

I appreciate your concern, but without knowing the details of my financial situation, maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. My family is saving for a cross-country move among other things. We don't have a lot of "extra" money. Is that better?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Three Wheeling

How can you appreciate my concern then politely tell me to STFU? .
If you don't want people to judge, don't put open ended statements like you don't have a lot of money, a frowny face at a $107 diagnostic, and you'll have to wait two weeks to get it fixed (implies living check to check) in a forum about vehicles that cost a goodly amount of time and money to properly maintain.
The added information helps clarify. Now back to your issue.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 AM
4wd Low

How can you say "not to judge..." and then say something judgmental? Just because someone puts the words "no offense" or "not to judge" in front of offensive or judgmental statements- doesn't make them any less so.

You're absolutely right- I should not leave open-ended statements hanging. I just figure this being an automotive forum, I didn't come here to prattle on about my life situation and what things are more of a priority to do with my family's finances. The freelander is our third family vehicle, therefore no huge rush to get it repaired, and since we just got it, put $1000 worth of tires on it and bought some plane tickets, yeah... I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to put such a large chunk of change down again so quickly. Also there are only two days out of the week that we can get it to the dealership due to my husband and i's work schedules and differing off days. Sometimes I have to be at work early and the dealership is an hour further than where I work, so we don't always want to drag the baby up at that time. The diagnostic is getting done this week and we've appropriated $1k of funds for repairs. If its more than that well just have to wait a little longer...

Heres to hoping its an inexpensive fix... Who doesn't like a pleasant surprise when it comes to spending LESS money?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Well the good thing is that if your head gasket is blown and your heads are pitted you can fix it rather than junking the engine. You can spend time or money. Really not that bad a fix if you are adventurous. Just a messy job. Be sure to explore all options. Your attitude is good so that is most of the battle.

Quick Reply: The check engine light magician...