Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Considering Purchase of '05 Freelander - Bad Decision?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Purchase of '05 Freelander - Bad Decision?

Hello!

I am currently in the market for a new daily driver and have always eyed Freelanders for the past few years but have never gotten around to actually purchasing one... the time has finally come and I need a new vehicle... I have been driving a 2005 Ford Escape, so I figured it would have similar feel, gas mileage, and reliability.

From the limited research I have done, I have found out that the Freelanders last production year was 2005. I have also discovered that Freelanders in general have an incredibly high possibility of needing major mechanical work after 50k miles...

Now my question is, since I am currently eyeing a 2005 will that mean that it is LESS likely I will run into major problems than the earlier year Freelanders? Did LR make any mechanical improvements over the years while the Freelander was still in production? I am hoping since it is a 2005 that some of the kinks were worked out and that I have a slimmer chance of having problems...

It reminds me of when I was looking for a Mercedes ML a few years ago, and everyone said they are lemons because of sludge problems which caused the engine to ultimately fail, needing replacement. Then I found out that if I purchased a 2003+ the problems was virtually non-existent... So, I purchased a 2003, had if for nearly 3 years/ 75k miles and had no problems... I am hoping this is a similar situation.

The vehicle I am looking at is 2,000 miles away and I plan to fly there to pick it up next week. It is a super clean one-owner 2005 with 45k mi, with a history of service records from the LR dealer. It had the sunroof replaced at 35k mi... and the brake light switch replaced twice since new... any other things I should worry about or should I stay clear from this model all together?

TIA!

Justin from Jacksonville, FL

Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Justin, I purchased an '04 Freelander with 40K miles in Sept of 08 and could not be happier. Mine was Certified PreOwned and we got it from the local LR dealer with an extended warranty, roadside assistance package, etc. It's the SE model, no sunroof. It is a solid, well-built automobile and we skated thru a long, cold, icy, snowy (98" total snowfall) winter with nary a problem. The AWD is fantastic and assuring. We took it on a roadtrip from Boston to Charleston and it was nothing but luxurious comfort all the way. My husb is a motorhead that follows F1 racing and he has never steered us wrong in the car department. The Freelander is the best selling
SUV in Europe, why they didn't do so well this side of the pond I do not know. Hope this helps you.