Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Driver's Seat Height Adjustment....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Seat Height Adjustment....

I have just bought a 2006 Freelander TD4. After the first long journey I noticed the head room is slightly restrictive (I’m just over 6 foot so I’m not excessively tall). It’s slightly annoying but bearable.

It appears the Driver’s seat isn’t height adjustable. Would it be possible for the dealer to permanently lower the seat by an inch or so??

Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Driver's Seat Height Adjustment....

I have a 2002 Freelander which is new to me for a few months. At first I noticed that the instruments were hard to read because the steering wheel blocked out the top part of the RPM and Speedometer. The seat is all the way back and the steering wheel is all the way up. I have also been less than happy that my head is right at the top by the sunroof. Only 6 feet tall as well. I thought of taking out the front seats and trying to cut out an inch or more then re-weld them back together. The driver's side would be much easier as there is some sort of box under the passanger seat. Land Rover must have wanted the driver to sit up high so they could drive with a better view, but as the Freelander is less off-road orientated it seems like something they must have not concidered enough.

If you figure out a way to get it done please post. Maybe the seat mount from another Rover with adjustable height features would fit.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 AM
3rd Gear

This compact sedan and hatchback duo from Mazda features standard driver's seat height adjustment in the s trim level, along with standard height-adjustable seat belts and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel. But what sets these cars apart is airbag technology designed to cater specifically to whomever is behind the wheel.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Overlanding
Default head room

I have the same problem with my freelander, I will try to come up with a mod to lower the seat somehow and will advise

Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear

I'm only 5'10" and bang my head on the sunroof cover when I go over road bumps.
I've only had the freelander since mid Sept so no proper off road yet (just pavements outside schools ;-)
As my legs are short I need the seat quite far forward and prefer it more upright, but I don't want to have my head at an angle* out of the sunroof !
So any answers would be great ...

* = Bad experience with a Hyundai Lantra as a hire car
P.S. I'm English, so this may need translating :-)

Last edited by PiersHawksley; 10-03-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default comment on me.taco.too's welding idea ... and some random thoughts !

Originally Posted by me.taco.too
I have a 2002 Freelander which is new to me for a few months. <snip> I thought of taking out the front seats and trying to cut out an inch or more then re-weld them back together.
For off road only - unless you can guarantee your welds. I'm not trained (knew some welders learning to x-ray welds once) and have only built a pedal tricycle (not yet road tested - no time) so wouldn't trust my welding on a Driver's seat on road.

The driver's side would be much easier as there is some sort of box under the passanger seat.
On My Freelander it's the 6 disk CD changer - there is also a duct (I think) under the driver's seat - but as my freelander never left home this may be under your driver's seat.

If you figure out a way to get it done please post. Maybe the seat mount from another Rover with adjustable height features would fit.
I had an Austin Allegro (UK car, built 1976, this was in 1989/90 so it was 'run-in' or perhaps 'run-out' ;-) once - the springs in the driver's seat snapped when I was on a slip road between two bits of motorway (highway turnpike ?) - I dropped by 4" and nearly had to change trousers ! Quickly fixed with bungy straps (shock cord with hooks on the end) - lasted for a couple of year's until the rest of the car fell apart (as british cars of that era tended to )

Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Drifting
Default Ummm???

I understand the height issue, but the off-road issue i don't. I have taken my 02' Freelander on many an expedition and gone where most have probably not taken there's or even wanted to. And it acted like it's done it all before and better. I would trust mine to anything of course not too extreme, but it sure does grip better than my RR going up hill when the traction control kicks in. Flawless!! It is cramped alittle. But what do you expect from the wicked little step child it is. It's the smallest and weakest of the family, but it keeps right up with the RR no prob. And comparing it to all the other off road style jap imports and all in the same class, by far the Freelander is built better and can run circles around anything impor 4x4. It does have it's flaws, but it's a fantastic machine, and rocks!!! Just my six pence.

Last edited by Rhino1; 10-20-2009 at 05:31 AM.