Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander 2 Engine Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Freelander 2 Engine Diagnosis

Just received a diagnosis on the two times total shutdown of my 2007 Freelander 2 Diesel with 70,000km. No compression in the motor. Valve rockers are broken and further testing shows water in the motor causing a hydraulic lock. There was corrosion on one of the injectors which indicates water entry into the motor. This caused the motor to stop suddenly with teeth then worn off the timing belt and the valves to then hit the pistons as the valve kept moving. This is what breaks the valve rockers and causes further damage to other parts including pistons, conrods, cylinder head etc. I am the original owner with the car always serviced at the dealer. Nearly all the km driven are in the city and the car has never been driven in rough terain or through flood waters. For a 4WD designed for tough terrain etc, this is an unacceptable situation for such an expensive car. Any advice, thoughts or suggestions welcome as I am not a mechanic and I am not sure that I am getting the full story. Dealer wants to replace the engine for $16,000 and says no alternative or answer to why this has happened. Thank you for responses as I cannot afford that kind of money.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 AM
3rd Gear

Freelander engine swap - Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

I took My 2003 SE3 in today to be checked out for an oil leak and disappearing coolant. they told me 13k to fix. I almost threw up there on the spot. Also i was told no alternatives. only thing I found thats remotely feasible to keep the truck is convert it to 2wd and drop in a ford motor and trans or go for a hunt on a wrecked Freelander and do an engine swap and sell it ASAP before that person figures it out. Had I done my research I would have never bought it. Don't get me wrong I loved taking the canopy off and heading to the beach! I got my best speeding ticket by driving 143mph in a 65mph These things are apparently notorious for having engines that just die! I will miss her but I cant afford or justify spending 13k on a 5-6k vehicle!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

either coolant loss into the motor or to much water in the vehicle when going thru a large puddle.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Freelander 2 Engine Diagnosis

It sounds very much like contaminated fuel. I picked up a load in Mudgee on the weekend in the Jeep. Lucky that it has a water in fuel sensor. The crd engines of all makes are very much at risk from it. In some cases you can have a go at the garage for compensation.