Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

How do you remove front part of console?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove front part of console?

Picked up an 02 Freelander that needs the Head Gaskets... OK, I know...

Looked really clean, and had a little bit of an odor - no big deal, seen, cleaned up worse. Then when cleaning it, the smell got worse... Did my Green Machine thing and it smelled o.k. after doing it, but after it dried, the smell was back... SO, I decided to remove the seats (which I often do when cleaning the carpets... Then wham it hit me like a brick when I lifted the carpet a little...

Bottom line, is that whoever rode in the rear right needs to learn how to hold a beer when riding... I mopped up about 16 oz. of fermenting brew.

I have removed the rear console, and the two screws on the front console but did not see where it was obvious as to how it came out. It was late, and did not want to break anything.

SO:

- What is the trick to removing:

1. Shifter ****
2. Front part of console

I'm planning on getting the carpet out and cleaning the foam outside of the vehicle.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How do you remove front part of console?

1) the shifter, pull up like you dont care, best when in N (be careful not to hit your self in the face when it comes off)
2) front part of console, under the e-brake handle there is a cover hiding two screws.
3) your going to have to cut the rug under the hvac heater box unless you plane on removing the dashboard/hvac box.
4) when LRSUX leaves his spam type comment please send p/m to administrator so we call all get him kick off or band.
thanks and good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: raid13
1) the shifter, pull up like you dont care, best when in N (be careful not to hit your self in the face when it comes off)
- Thanks - That sounds just like the Steptronic Shifters in BMW's I've pulled a few of those up... Working on a 323ci now - changing the trans for the infamous no reverse.

2) front part of console, under the e-brake handle there is a cover hiding two screws.
I did see the cover under the e-brake handle and removed those two - as well as the two under the cubby box. The rear part is removed (rear part being the part that goes over the e-brake and has the cubby box.

And I have the two screws on either side of the front console out. So, the front console moves a bunch, but is attached somehow around the dash - I just did not want to break any plastic last night investigating because nothing was obvious. I'm hoping I do not have to remove the radio.

What I'm looking for is how to remove the front part - the part over the shifter and that contains the wallet box, heater control area. Enough to get the carpet over the shifter.

Are there two screws under the heater control ***** that need to come off?

3) your going to have to cut the rug under the hvac heater box unless you plane on removing the dashboard/hvac box.
Thanks for the confirmation - I was looking at that last night wondering if it was already sliced up there or not. I figured that a cut would not hurt much - may add some noise because of the interruption in the sound deadening.

4) when LRSUX leaves his spam type comment please send p/m to administrator so we call all get him kick off or band.
thanks and good luck
I saw that guy on this forum when I was doing some searching. Will do.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
4th Gear

For anyone looking, I'll answer my question as I just figured out how to get the front part of the console out. Start with the rear (though I already had mine out):

- 4 screws on the top of the cubby
- 2 hidden screws under the cubby
- 2 screws under the plate under the e brake handle

Pull up on the e brake and remove the rear part

Front Part:

Pull up on shifter to remove handle 9 be a little careful, but firm (believe it or not I have seen a BMW shifter that was broken...)
Remove:

- 2 screws on either side of console (in the footwell area so to speak)
- pull three ***** off the heater area.
- 2 screws under two of the *****
- 4 screws around the heater control
- radio including the recctangular retainer by bending the tangs
- 2 screws hidden by the retainer - you might be able to get to these, but it looked like I had to remove it and did not want to break anything.
- remove a ton of connectors
- remove console

Well, now I see how much cutting it would take to get the carpet all the way out.

I think I'll try to soak the padding with clean water, squeeze it out and then repeat with a cleaner. put it up in the air to see if it will dry before going further. Getting the console all the way out helps give me more room under the carpet now.

Thanks for helping. I would have been a little hesitant to just yank the shifter...

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
4th Gear

Ended up cutting the carpet in three places to get it out from behind the air control stuff.

Sprayed it down a bunch, and it is hanging on sawhorses. I really hope the padding dries all the way.

While there has been write ups on the evaporator drains clogging and I'll check that, the liquid really smelled like brew. It even foamed up when I sprayed the padding. It smelled worse than my fraternity basement floor after our parties - and we could party.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

been away for two days, glade you got the rug out.