Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Just bought an '03 Freelander Saturday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an '03 Freelander Saturday...

I was so excited loved it on my way home from Orlando to Vero Beach 90 miles, drove perfect no complaints. The next morning the neighbors came out and the four of us got in to take a ride (its an '03 2 door yellow) started her up and a minute later died right there on the driveway as if it ran out of gas (had 1\2 tank full) and could not get it started! Is this my "welcome to owning a rover"? So here I am 70 miles into owning my freelander (it has 90k hwy miles on it, still looks brand new) and watching a flatbed tow it in to a local mechanic.....any words of wisdom or is this a common problem or issue with these? Thanks for any comments good or bad......

Old 01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Just bought an '03 Freelander Saturday...

Sounds more like a bit of bad luck rather than anything else. Though to me 90K on a two and bit year old car is a lot of miles, ( but then in the UK we hve an average of about 15,000 miles a year on cars) and this milage may be an indicator that you will need to have some work done to it sooner rather than later. If it has not had a new clutch, expect to have to replace it in the near future for instance, you may have to be buying a new fuel pump by the sounds of things, though it may even be as simple as a faulty earth cable, which is just pure bad luck.

You would need to describe what happened in more detail, when you turned the key, did you hear any noises, etc... was it trying to start, but not firing up.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply, yeah in FL especially lots of highway driving and things sread out, its pretty common for high mileage. What is an earthbelt? Because there was a long black belt new in a bag in the back compartment when I bought it and the dealer said "just looks like a spair"?? But I looked at the bag and the sticker sais alternator assembly. When it happened it was idling for about 3 minutes stuttered 2 seconds and died , like running out of gas would do. When I tried restarting it just turns over (again as if theres no gas) only once or twice in 20 tries did it sound like it may start for a second. There were no other signs of any problems prior. The vehicle was very well taken care of in nearly showroom condition. Thanks again for any input.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: rover

yeah in FL especially lots of highway driving and things sread out, its pretty common for high mileage.

ha ha ha, i haven't heard a good joke like that in a long time, thanks

i nearly sharted myself on that one.

Attempting to hijack thread:
Dalhart, Texas to Brownsville, Texas is 894.82 miles

El Paso, Texas to Port Arthur, Texas is 845.69 miles

Did you buy it at a LR dealership? or was it tote the note? my guess is like lightning 90's, check pump etc and maybe even filters.

closest dealership is 280 miles north of me in Amarillo

Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling

From what you describe, it sounds very much just bad luck, rather than a poor vehicle... As you managed to get it started after 20 tries or so, I would check fuel filters and fuel lines, you may have picked up damage to a fuel line and it is letting in air to your system. Hence why after 20 tries you get it started a little, as in normal situations, 20 tries would have flooded the engine...

Old 02-02-2006, 01:08 AM
8th Gear

As it turned out it was the fuel pump! About $600.00 for the pump and 3 hours labor at 85.00 per hour. Its done I watched them do it got my rover back and happy again! Maybe I should get an extended warranty...any suggestions who to use here in the good ole USA?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is to get rid of the landrover and quick!! I've got a 2002 Freelander and it's a lemon. I've had it in the shop 12 times and 11 of the times was for replacing of some defective part. I had engine problems the very first year and to this day I don't think they have fixed it.