Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

oil changed and timing belt ?!??!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil changed and timing belt ?!??!?

I got my oil changed at the local Rover dealer and was quite taken by the 150+$ US I was charged for it. it now has 75,xxx, the service writer asked if the belts were changed at 72,xxx and I told him I didn't know because that is what the mileage was when I got it 3 months ago. He said they would check to see when they did the oil change, they didn't check it and he suggested that I have it done to the tune of 2,500$ US!! He said that if they pulled everything off and it looked like it was done they would go no further. I told him I would do some research to see if it was. Problem is I got it from a used car dealer that got it from auction, so they know nothing of it prior and there is no way I can get a hold of the previous owner. They also did a 23 point inspection along with a recall for the brake lights, and they came up with a cracked/cracking overflow coolant tank as well as my license plate lights being burnt out (changed one at home later) Is it common for the coolant tanks to crack? I'm sure it is pretty straight forward to replace one. So my main question is the 2,500 they are asking for the belts to be changed about average or high? For that price I can buy another vehicle! Especially for this freelander which I'm not to happy with! Anyone have a shop they would recommend in the SF Bay Area that is competent in doing the timing belts for less $$$? As well as future oil changes!! Or do I just bite the bullet and trade this thing in while it is still running, from reading a few other posts, these freelanders seem to trouble.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02lrfreelander
I got my oil changed at the local Rover dealer and was quite taken by the 150+$ US I was charged for it. it now has 75,xxx, the service writer asked if the belts were changed at 72,xxx and I told him I didn't know because that is what the mileage was when I got it 3 months ago. He said they would check to see when they did the oil change, they didn't check it and he suggested that I have it done to the tune of 2,500$ US!! He said that if they pulled everything off and it looked like it was done they would go no further. I told him I would do some research to see if it was. Problem is I got it from a used car dealer that got it from auction, so they know nothing of it prior and there is no way I can get a hold of the previous owner. They also did a 23 point inspection along with a recall for the brake lights, and they came up with a cracked/cracking overflow coolant tank as well as my license plate lights being burnt out (changed one at home later) Is it common for the coolant tanks to crack? I'm sure it is pretty straight forward to replace one. So my main question is the 2,500 they are asking for the belts to be changed about average or high? For that price I can buy another vehicle! Especially for this freelander which I'm not to happy with! Anyone have a shop they would recommend in the SF Bay Area that is competent in doing the timing belts for less $$$? As well as future oil changes!! Or do I just bite the bullet and trade this thing in while it is still running, from reading a few other posts, these freelanders seem to trouble.
From everything I have read here, 2500 is normal.

Also, 150 for oil change? I bought mine about 2,000 miles ago and haven't yet that point yet -- but I have called it around and heard local places will do it for normal price. I would never go to the Rover dealership unless I HAVE to. I hear the local one to me (Spokane, WA) is not all that helpful. I have connections with another dealership in town and they said they will do the Timing Belt because I too bought it at 80K and the last owner apparently never did it. I am not paying $2,500.