General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser

I have a 98 P38 4.6 HSE Auto and swapping the engine with Toyota LandCuiser's 1HD-T engine turbo diesel. And my big mistake was I gave my ranggie to unprofessional mechanics. Now they have no clue how to fit from engine to auto transmission, transfer case, etc... (WTF??)

Can anybody help me with this situation so I can explain it to my mechanics?

1. Should I change the transmission?
2. Should I change the transfer case?
3. Can I use old Tranny and transfer box (my P38)? How about the ratio, will it be OK?

I think my P38 tranny can stand up the 1HD-T 4.2 L diesel engine power because its only produce Output : 162 hp (121 kw) at 3600 rpm with 267 ftlbf (361 Nm) of torque at 1400 rpm.
meanwhile the original P38 4.6 V8 engine petrol produced 222 hp (166 kW) at 4750 rpm and 300 ft·lbf (407 N·m) at 2600 rpm

another question is if I keep my old tranny, will it be my diesel engine rev highly before change to 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear?

sorry lots of questions and yes this is my first range rover

Many thanks in advance for help

Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your mechanic is an expert at this, and you are prepared to spend a lot of money. I would not do this proceedure. The mechanics are having a problem hooking the transmission to the engine, because they were not designed for one another. You will most likely have to replace the transmission, and transfer case to follow through with this. You will also run the risk of putting added stress on your differentials. If I were in your position, I would abandone the project. Land Rover made a good diesel engine that was designed by BMW. It will mate up with the current transmission and you can usually keep most of the electronics. Don't mean to discourage you, but even the thought of trying to do this is making me cringe.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LRScott
Unless your mechanic is an expert at this, and you are prepared to spend a lot of money. I would not do this proceedure. The mechanics are having a problem hooking the transmission to the engine, because they were not designed for one another. You will most likely have to replace the transmission, and transfer case to follow through with this. You will also run the risk of putting added stress on your differentials. If I were in your position, I would abandone the project. Land Rover made a good diesel engine that was designed by BMW. It will mate up with the current transmission and you can usually keep most of the electronics. Don't mean to discourage you, but even the thought of trying to do this is making me cringe.
is that possible to get a conversion from the engine to transmission?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Cool idea to put a diesel in a Range Rover. I would love to have a diesel in mine but don't want to part with the vast amount of cash required to do it. Yes it is possible to use that diesel engine with your existing transmission. Just like with anything else, if you have enough money to hire the proper people to do the job then it can be done. That being said, it doesn't sound like you have the right people doing the job. You probably need some type of custom fabricator like those guys on TV. No, it probably doesn't make sense to do the swap. I don't know what it costs to import a diesel p38 to the US, but it would probably be much cheaper than what you're trying to do.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 AM
4wd Low

If I were you I would stop right now or you will end up re mortgaging your home and you will never even have a vehicle to drive.
Sorry to be a doom merchant here. I wanted to do something similar quite some time ago with my late father's P38/BMW diesel.(Not Bombproof at all) Went into it at length. The problem is that the ECU has total control of everything on the vehicle not just the engine and gear box. If you are the equivilent of a rocket scientist and are a prof computer reprogrammer and feel confident you might get the interior light to come on !!! But that's about it!! Save yourself some money and refit a 5.0ltr engine from RPi or JE Engineering. Straight fit, key in and off you go. Honestly you are opening a can of worms and I am normally a positive thinker. Good luck !!!!

Last edited by scottydog; 12-10-2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: editing
Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Overlanding

thanks guys for all the advice, i think i have to stop the project now

ECU is one thing that i haven't think of.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scottydog is right about the ECU. It is a very neat piece of technology that controls everything in these vehicles. However, you would need to do some serious programming to get it to work right.

I wanted to do something similar quite some time ago with my late father's P38/BMW diesel.(Not Bombproof at all)
Were you trying to put the LR BMW diesel in it? I have seen some posts on other forums where people have successfully swapped their V8 with the LR diesel motor. I actually went to an event where someone had swapped their disco V8 with the rover tdi. I WANT IT!

Last edited by LRScott; 12-10-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree with Scottydog, the electronics will be a nightmare. Engine swaps weren't a big deal in older vehicles but a modern LR would be nightmare. I honestly don't think you could do it for under $25k and that would be doing a good amount of the work yourself. I'm all about custom vehicles and would LOVE to see a clean diesel conversion but I think this project would require too much time and money. Cool idea though.It would be a sweet ride.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the engine management is not quite as bad as you make it sound but is not easy or cheap. You could use Megasquirt or another piggy back system and tune it for the Rover, while there is tons of support out there for the system there is virtually nothing for the Rover side so it would be a lot of trial and error. I would also expect for the tuning to run about $3-$5K on top of the motor stuff. You can go to someone like Advanced Adapters and see what they have to mate the motor to the tranny, if you have to go custom that will run about $1-$2K too. You would be better off seperating the engine harness out using a shop manual to isolate the body wiring from the motor and drivetrain, then swap the motor with tranny and TC and then only worry about a custom drive shaft and mounts. You will end up running 2 different ECU's to make it all work but hey it would be original.

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Overlanding

why I'm using Toyota's engine because Toyota is well known for trouble free motor with cheap and lots of spareparts.

BMW Diesel engine is not as tough as Toyota's engine, if I want to swap, I want to swap with more "trouble free" engine (if it runs ) but now I have to deal with this mess because I haven't done any research first

Quick Reply: [HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser