General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Well the engine management is not quite as bad as you make it sound but is not easy or cheap. You could use Megasquirt or another piggy back system and tune it for the Rover, while there is tons of support out there for the system there is virtually nothing for the Rover side so it would be a lot of trial and error. I would also expect for the tuning to run about $3-$5K on top of the motor stuff. You can go to someone like Advanced Adapters and see what they have to mate the motor to the tranny, if you have to go custom that will run about $1-$2K too. You would be better off seperating the engine harness out using a shop manual to isolate the body wiring from the motor and drivetrain, then swap the motor with tranny and TC and then only worry about a custom drive shaft and mounts. You will end up running 2 different ECU's to make it all work but hey it would be original.

Good Luck!
can they be synchronized between the two ECUs?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synchronized is not the right word, they work independently of each other doing what you only allow it to do. The original ecu would control things such as interior lights and havac controls. the Megasquort or whatever you use will control the vital signals for the engine, such as fuel and spark and shift points. It would take a long time to pull the harness and seperate the two and to make sure that you have all that you need.

If you have the time go for it, I would lov eto see it work and I am sure you could get in a magazine somewhere. Hopefully you live in a state that will not kill you with registration or smog to get it registered.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Mudding

EXPIERIANCE

did you really start this project with out thinking about all this??

wheres the face-palm smiley...

like you really thought you could just put 'JUST' the engine from a totally different manufacture into a different vehicle, and have every thing match up?

its doable and it would be kick *** to have a v8 turbo diesel 5speed range rover. but it sounds like you guys don't even know how to change the oil in a car...

Last edited by yesmar; 12-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Mudding

in your case you guys should just weld the rr body onto the toyota chassis

Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Synchronized is not the right word, they work independently of each other doing what you only allow it to do. The original ecu would control things such as interior lights and havac controls. the Megasquort or whatever you use will control the vital signals for the engine, such as fuel and spark and shift points. It would take a long time to pull the harness and seperate the two and to make sure that you have all that you need.

If you have the time go for it, I would lov eto see it work and I am sure you could get in a magazine somewhere. Hopefully you live in a state that will not kill you with registration or smog to get it registered.
i see.... thanks for the info

Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by yesmar
EXPIERIANCE

did you really start this project with out thinking about all this??

wheres the face-palm smiley...

like you really thought you could just put 'JUST' the engine from a totally different manufacture into a different vehicle, and have every thing match up?

its doable and it would be kick *** to have a v8 turbo diesel 5speed range rover. but it sounds like you guys don't even know how to change the oil in a car...
I know that if I change the engine it will connect to transmission, transfer case, etc... but I asked my mechanics and they said "no problem, we can handle that!"

that is the stupid part, I trust them! Now they have no clue how to join it!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been down that road with mechanics before. They think they know everything, and the problem has nothing to do with what they said it was. After a couple of bad visits to local shops here, I haven't sent any of my vehicles to anyone. I just do the work myself now. Its cheaper, really not that hard, and I get a certain satisfaction out of it too. I have recently come across a local shop that works on jaguars. The guy worked for the rover dealership, which may or may not be a good thing. However, I figured I would give him a whirl. Because at some point there will be a problem that I can't find the answer to. Which is why having a good, honest and competent mechanic is a must. Sorry, didn't mean to lecture, but I hate mechanics that think they know everything and don't listen to the customer .

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LRScott
I've been down that road with mechanics before. They think they know everything, and the problem has nothing to do with what they said it was. After a couple of bad visits to local shops here, I haven't sent any of my vehicles to anyone. I just do the work myself now. Its cheaper, really not that hard, and I get a certain satisfaction out of it too. I have recently come across a local shop that works on jaguars. The guy worked for the rover dealership, which may or may not be a good thing. However, I figured I would give him a whirl. Because at some point there will be a problem that I can't find the answer to. Which is why having a good, honest and competent mechanic is a must. Sorry, didn't mean to lecture, but I hate mechanics that think they know everything and don't listen to the customer .
op sorry to bust your ***** abit but ^ ^

if you have time and an extra daily driver this would be a great opportunity to start doing a SH*TLOAD of research and a hunk out of your wallet and some decent tools. get the truck back to your house, park it. and experiment. this kind of engine swap isn't going to happen in a couple of day's, or weeks.

the range rover hse 4.6 is such a nice truck. dont leave it in the hands of inexperienced "mechanics"

i look at it this way, if im going to pay my good hard earned money on a car or truck, and i want to change something about it. i will. if anyone is going to f*ck up MY things i want it to be ME.

start with basics go from there. be comfortable about knowing the work is done right.

and ill say it again the rr hse is such a nice truck as is....

good luck!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Overlanding

bit good news guys, I found a really good mechanics (after I done my research) He has done engine swap a lot including the old ranggie classic, so I suggested to change with Toyota Prado engine (1KZ)

His plan is:
1. swap engine with 1KZ
2. use all 1KZ's ECU but leave the original rr panel (hard wire)
3. Use tranny and transfer box from Toyota Prado (so it will be different shift gear inside)
4. Have to change suspension with coil

the only problem now does anyone know the final gear for 98 Range Rover P38?

if this become a problem then I have to change to Toyota's one

but yes, it is possible to do the engine swap, bye bye 4.6 HSE's engine....

Old 12-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only problem now does anyone know the final gear for 98 Range Rover P38?
what do you mean by that?

Quick Reply: [HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser