General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
what do you mean by that?
my new mechanics said he has to know "the final gear of this car (rr p38)"

I don't really know what is that but I think the final gear ratio? Because he said the final gear on G-class mercedes benz is the same as Prado's one.

could it be a final gear axle?

Last edited by 313; 12-12-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't really have a clue what he means. I don't know what the gear ratio is off the top of my head, and if he means "final gear" like the last gear lol its number 4 as it is a 4 speed transmission. Wish I could be more help, but I don't really understand the question.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by LRScott
Don't really have a clue what he means. I don't know what the gear ratio is off the top of my head, and if he means "final gear" like the last gear lol its number 4 as it is a 4 speed transmission. Wish I could be more help, but I don't really understand the question.
hahahhaa thanks! I'll update his question when I meet him again....

Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Overlanding

@LRScott, I met my new mechanic again and asked him what was really his question's mean.

what he mean by "final gear" is a final drive ratio.

and I just found the data what I was looking for: according to www.rrr.co.uk, RR P38's gear as follow: First 2.480:1 Second 1.480:1 Third 1.000:1 Forth 0.730:1 and the final drive ratio 3.540:1

meanwhile the Toyota's Prado (1KZ-my donor) according to www.marks4wd.com, First 2.804:1 Second 1.531:1 Third 1.000:1 Forth 0.753:1 and the final drive ratio 4.100:1

both is automatic transmission

now my question is can I use original p38's axle with 3.540:1 for a final drive ratio with Prado's transmission?

as a newbie, I think it should be no problem because the highest gear on Prado is 2.804:1 CMIIW

thanks

Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 AM
4wd Low
Default Jap 4 pot oil burner to Classy Brit !!

Honestly you must be barking or just not listening.
You are asking for trouble in my opinion. It's just not meant to be. You will end up with a complete shed !! and a bastardised vehicle, bottom line.
I had advice from J E Engineering on this subject a while back and they know what they are doing in this game.
I know never say never but you are going to seriously compromise a very good vehicle by now shoehorning in a 4 pot jap oil burner. Even Land Rover had to admit the Italian VM marine unit for the RR was a banger. Then developed the TDi themselves for all variants and then the Beemer 6 pot oil burner (2.5) for the P38 which was ok and smooth but underpowered and gave in eventually with a few miles under the belt.
If you have a serious amount of disposable income and can be bothered to find a diesel filling station which is a rarity in the US, good luck! but I could think of better causes to throw hard earned cash at. There is clearly some experienced people on this forum and you can see what they are getting at. I also think you might be getting led up a gum tree by some grease monkey looking for your cash. However I would also be impressed if I was truly wrong !!
Cheers, Scottydog.

Originally Posted by 313
bit good news guys, I found a really good mechanics (after I done my research) He has done engine swap a lot including the old ranggie classic, so I suggested to change with Toyota Prado engine (1KZ)

His plan is:
1. swap engine with 1KZ
2. use all 1KZ's ECU but leave the original rr panel (hard wire)
3. Use tranny and transfer box from Toyota Prado (so it will be different shift gear inside)
4. Have to change suspension with coil

the only problem now does anyone know the final gear for 98 Range Rover P38?

if this become a problem then I have to change to Toyota's one

but yes, it is possible to do the engine swap, bye bye 4.6 HSE's engine....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by scottydog
Honestly you must be barking or just not listening.
You are asking for trouble in my opinion. It's just not meant to be. You will end up with a complete shed !! and a bastardised vehicle, bottom line.
I had advice from J E Engineering on this subject a while back and they know what they are doing in this game.
I know never say never but you are going to seriously compromise a very good vehicle by now shoehorning in a 4 pot jap oil burner. Even Land Rover had to admit the Italian VM marine unit for the RR was a banger. Then developed the TDi themselves for all variants and then the Beemer 6 pot oil burner (2.5) for the P38 which was ok and smooth but underpowered and gave in eventually with a few miles under the belt.
If you have a serious amount of disposable income and can be bothered to find a diesel filling station which is a rarity in the US, good luck! but I could think of better causes to throw hard earned cash at. There is clearly some experienced people on this forum and you can see what they are getting at. I also think you might be getting led up a gum tree by some grease monkey looking for your cash. However I would also be impressed if I was truly wrong !!
Cheers, Scottydog.
well, i just give a shoot, anyway i have an 1HD-T engine (now can trade with 1KZ) and badly broken 4.6 V6 engine....

Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling

If the mechanic actually knew enough to do this swap correctly, he would already know the answers to the questions you are asking.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
If the mechanic actually knew enough to do this swap correctly, he would already know the answers to the questions you are asking.
yes he did, I called him and he said no problem. I just want to double check again, not 100% trust him. I also want to have an input from this forum.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Keep up posted. Document as much as you can. If it works out I'm sure there are a few of us that would like to give it a try.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst case scenario in the final gear drive is to change out the third member with the correct ratio you need. The gears in the Toyota sre lower then the Rover so if you went with some larger tires you can fudge it as well and get the final ratio you need and be at the correct RPM range while cruising. It may hunt for the right gear when climbing hills as well so be prepared for it.

You are going the much cheaper way by swapping most of the drivetrain so you are ahead of the game there. Still be prepared for small things to pop up and throw a wrench in things. Again you may never be able to register this thing when it is done so double check that too.

Quick Reply: [HELP] P38 engine swap to Toyota LandCruiser