General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 rr hse

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 rr hse

Hello,

New to the forum. I've made my first post on the new member forum. I'm no stranger to owning vehicles that need maintenance (original owner and still own 2001 Audi S4), so I'm ready to do some wrenching. I've picked up an 02 RR this past weekend, and have a few questions.

1) Is there anyplace to pick up a spare key other than the dealer? There was only one key from the previous owner.

2) Is it worth ordering the new NAV cd's from Navteq? The NAV seems pretty poor with the current cd, but I'm curious if there is more info on the newer discs. The current disc is missing a lot of streets and addresses.

3) Best way to add an iPod hookup to the factory HK system?

Thanks, and I hope to contribute soon.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Welcome...

#1 I have had keys cut @ a lock smith before for my 95' and my 98' RR I'm not sure if the 02' keys have a chip in them or not?

#2 Check Ebay, thats where my last one came from, It was Emailed to me And then I burnt it on a DVD @ home...

#3 http://www.roverville.us/
They can ad a 3.5mm audio jack to your factory head unit..
There are no Ipod integration kits for Rovers, I'm not sure why. They have them for BMW's which use Alpine/HK audio stuff just like Rovers..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

95' 4.0 SE Rover (240k Original motor)
Thats encouraging .

CPN, you can have a locksmith make a spare key. Did your key come with a remote and is it synced? If so make sure the remote is synced. Most of the time the rover will let you start it with an out of sync key or a spare key (yes they do have a chip). But one day when you least expect it, the alarm system will disable the engine and will ask for you to push a button on the remote. If you do not have a remote that works, it will require you to enter the EKA access code (so make sure you have the EKA code, it is usually in the owner's manual booklet). Good luck and welcome to the club!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LRScott
Thats encouraging .
Lol Not trying to hijack this thread, But yea It's a rarity

Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jordanmd88

#2 Check Ebay, thats where my last one came from, It was Emailed to me And then I burnt it on a DVD @ home...
Thanks for the replies. Is the DVD for your '02? Is there an improvement over the original disc? I'm considering getting the updated 8 disc set from Navteq but if the info is spotty I'll just use my portable Tom Tom.

Also, according to rangrover.net the remote is vehicle specific for the P38's, so I guess its dealer only.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LRScott
Thats encouraging .

CPN, you can have a locksmith make a spare key. Did your key come with a remote and is it synced? If so make sure the remote is synced. Most of the time the rover will let you start it with an out of sync key or a spare key (yes they do have a chip). But one day when you least expect it, the alarm system will disable the engine and will ask for you to push a button on the remote. If you do not have a remote that works, it will require you to enter the EKA access code (so make sure you have the EKA code, it is usually in the owner's manual booklet). Good luck and welcome to the club!
Unfortunately, I only have the one key and remote. It would be nice to have a spare for under $300.

I thought the specific EKA access code did not include North American Range Rovers? I've read the default code is 1515 for North America. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If yours has it's original BECM then you do not have the EKA feature and need not worry. However, becms are eventually replaced and are often replaced with ones from Europe. I know mine is not original and am prepared with the EKA code. A 2002 might be young enough not to have had its BECM replaced, but I would check. Last thing you want is a little surprise.

The remote cannot be reprogrammed, but the vehicle's computer can be programmed to recognize a new remote. Unfortunately a Dealer will have to do this (which is dumb cause on the disco you can do it yourself...).