General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 RR Battery Dying and it looks low?! Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 03 RR Battery Dying and it looks low?! Please help!!!

Ok so I have a 2003 range rover and I was out of town for a week. When I came back I moved the car outside of the garage and noticed it bArely wanted to start. Then 2 days later went to move the RR back into garage and it wont start it is completely dead and locked. So now it's been a couple days because I have to wait until I can get it jump started and it looks a little low...Would the battery being dead for a week cause it to lower? And how "low" do they look when the EAS is going out? It just looks a little low but I may be seeing things!

Also, now the key doesn't want to work (I mean like locking and unlocking it) does this have something to do with the dead battery?

One last question, where should I get a new battery where they can install it for me? I don't want to go to the dealer it is too expensive. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to an auto parts store and pick up a new battery, chances are your battery is old and just needs replacement. You will need to re-sync your key because the system lost its memory when the battery died. And what do you mean by it being low? Is it low when the vehicle is running or after you have left it for a week? If it is because you left it for a week, then it is normal. If it is looking low while running then you might have a height sensor problem. There are many things that can cause the battery to drain, here is a link that might help you: http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html#batdrain

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dead battery could cause the EAS to lower. The EAS system requires power to function but it should raise back to normal height when you jumpstart it. If it's only a bit lower after a week with a dead battery it sounds like your EAS system is in pretty good shape!

If it truly is lower it may also be a sign that you have a small leak somewhere (bags or lines most likely) in the system. It's hard to say how much lower a Rover will look when there is a EAS problem because it really varies and the system is designed to keep functioning, at least temporarily, with problems. I would recommend reading up a bit on EAS and then immobilizing the system to check its functionality.

For the battery you might want to go to a battery shop or auto parts store that can hook up a spare battery to supply power while they switch batteries... then you wont have to worry about re-syncing or re-setting.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

One thing you need to be aware of is that a R.R. has to have a top of the line battery, no cheapy typies so get one with at least the same rating as the original battery.
Then go and read your owner manual regarding reactivating your alarm/key issue.