General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Range Rover Fuel Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Range Rover Fuel Smell

We have a 2004 Range Rover. I am hoping that somebody can help me with this problem that our local dealership has been unable (or unwilling) to duplicate / repair.

After driving the vehicle for any length of time, when we park it in our garage, there is a strong smell of evaporated fuel (or something very similar) in the air. After aboutfive minutes it fills the garage. If we leave the garage doors open it dissipates. It's also detectable when the car is parked outside, but only right after getting out of the vehicle. It's bad enought that when I leave for work in the morning I can still smell it, and I left a jacket in the garage for a week by mistake and it reeked of fuel.

This is constant, i.e., it doesn't only happen some of the time. There is no leakage of fluids to the floor, which leads me to believe it's either a leak that is being burned off on the exhaust headers or something to do with the evaporation recapture system (or whatever it's called). It appears to come from the front of the vehicle, but I'm not 100% sure on this. No fault lights or other noticable problems with the engine.

The dealership's service dept., in their unfortunately typical fashion, tried to detect the smell outside, ran some brief diagnostics, and said they couldn't find the problem. It's under warranty.

Any help would be very much appreciated!