General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 RR Sport Supercharged vs. NA reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default '06 RR Sport Supercharged vs. NA reliability?

Done some searches, but was curious what owners had to say about it for themselves. I was pretty set on an LR3 to replace the car I just sold, but it might be worth trying to make the RR sport work too, as I've always loved them but they've been just out of my price range, and far more difficult to find.

The one I HAVE found has like just over 20k miles and they're only asking $22.5k. Yeah yeah I know, scam (already caught a few recently) but I'm talking to her (yes, her) via email, and she sent me a photo album of the vehicle as well. Very clean, you can tell the images were taken for a sale (there's like 30 of them). I asked a couple random questions just to see if she's for real (like if she had bought the hide-away hitch for it yet, how much tread is left, etc.

The remaining problem is that it's a more complicated engine than the standard 4.4, I'm just trying to figure out how MUCH more complicated. I know the aftercooler has its' own coolant lines, and have heard that they can leak (causing an overheat) but nothing more specific.

I'm also not entirely sold on the fact that it's Rimini Red. I'd love an actual red-red color, but obviously this is more of a maroon. Nothing comes close to white on the RRS though.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

reliability is about the same, but the RRS has the ace bars that are known to leak and blow and that gets expensive. The RRS supercharged engine does have more expensive parts on top but thats all. Brakes are about the same.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Winching

Thanks for the reply.. I'm thinking about spending a little more and going for the RRS since I'm a single young(ish ) guy and have no need for the added utility of the LR3, plus I just sold my mustang in the sig and the RRS sorta fills that sporty image "gap" that I'm missing now.

There's a supercharged one at a dealer with 54k miles for like $27k... which is on the cheap end for a NON supercharged. Not sure what the deal is? Should I be optimistic and peruse it, or be weary and try to steer towards a clean non-supercharged?

Also does the ACE system sabotage the power steering components if it leaks/blows out? Heard some horror stories about the first gen system in the DII but not as much in the RRS.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
TReK

no it doesn't but its expensive as hell to fix. And it will cause more issues then the older ones.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
no it doesn't but its expensive as hell to fix. And it will cause more issues then the older ones.
Too bad it was standard, the RRS I test drove yesterday handled very nicely as-is, no need to throw on even more weight, complexity, and $$$$$ if it's not bad to begin with.

Then again considering the company the RRS SC competes against, I understand why they had to do it, but still.

I've heard about some coolant issues with the supercharger systems? Leaks or something?

Also the RRS (non-SC) I test drove yesterday never fully got up to temperature, it was just a tad below the middle for the entire drive (I was out for 20 min including a 10 miles on the highway). Is this a failing tstat do you think? I know those gauges have a large "buffer" zone, so in reality it could still be a good ~50deg from normal operating temp. It didn't throw a CEL however.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM
TReK

That would be the coolant pump. They would cause the car to go into limp home mode.
But coolant leaks were about the same on the Nas, with the egr cooler leaking bad.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
That would be the coolant pump. They would cause the car to go into limp home mode.
But coolant leaks were about the same on the Nas, with the egr cooler leaking bad.
Ah okay, I think I've also seen an LR3's radiator leaking before at a local LR specialty shop.

Are these issues the same with the full-size RR SC?

Ironically the RR sport I'm pretty much set on buying is at the same dealership that has a full-size RR SC, which is about $2k more with 15k more miles.. but cleaner than the sport.

So which is more sporty? A Range Rover Sport NA or a rull size Range Rover Supercharged?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

22k for a supercharged RRS!? WHERE IS IT! If you don't buy it, I will!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Winching

Haha sorry I meant $2k more than the $29k RRS I'm looking at, so $31 actually.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
TReK

Those radiators leak very rarely. I have done one on a SC RRS and it sucked. The full size radiators leaks like a siv. I can pull them out in an hour. They are easy as hell.

The full size RR has similar issues to the RRS engine wise but are cheaper overall to service.

Quick Reply: '06 RR Sport Supercharged vs. NA reliability?