General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Range Rover Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Range Rover Issues

I have an '08 Range Rover with about 47,000 miles. I just had the brake pads and rotors replaced at the local dealership. The next day while commuting I was getting a strange humming sound that seemed to be originating from the driver's side front tire. It was not a grinding sound but a harmonic hum. It was only audible at low speeds during stop and go traffice on my commute. I brought it back to the dealer and they claimed it is the rear differential and unrelated to the brake work. They said the sound was referred and that's why it sounded like it was coming from the front of the car.

As I was driving back from dealer it was actually worse - it's louder and therefore I could hear it at higher speeds. The sound stops as soon as I touch the brakes. For example I was rolling through the parking lot, foot off the accelerator and there was a constant hum. I braked and the sound stopped. I released the brake and continued to roll and the sound started again.

Also, we had rain today - not sure if it's a coincidence or that contributed to it getting worse.

Thoughts?

Old 11-17-2013, 01:28 PM
5th Gear

OK, Im going to toss this out there because I had almost the identical same thing/noise. Mine was on the right front..... ended up being an axle shaft. For some reason the teeth shredded and I needed a new right front axle. Once replaced the problem was fixed.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks John. That seems like a more likely cause than anything I've been told. Neither repair shop was able to replicate the noise and it's since gone away. Not sure what to make of it.