General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 4.0 SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 4.0 SE

Hello all. Thought I might throw a couple of questions out to those obviously more knowledgeable on the subject of Rovers than I am. First a little background. I recently purchased a 97 4.0 SE from a neighbor down the road. It runs, but she drove it hot for several miles and the motor is shot. The body and interior are in really great shape, no tranny or suspension issues and never been wrecked. The car sat in her yard for several months and I bought it for almost nothing. I called a salvage company and they said they would pick it up and give me $1500, which is more than I paid for it. Rather than turn it for a quick couple hundred profit, I'm looking at making it roadworthy again. Given the year model and very good condition, I was looking for info from curent owners as to whether it would be a good candidate for a cheaper used low mileage engine or a better candidate for a rebuilt or remanufactured engine obviously costing more. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a thing about these rigs and would welcome any insight from current owners. If these are pretty good trucks, I'll put it into shape and drive it myself. I figured I'd take a chance and purchase it since the price was right and Ican get out without losing from the start. However, the thought of having a pretty decent vehicle after some work really appeals to me also. Any advice form the experts and experienced? Used/rebuilt/new/? Where do you think I will exceed the value of the truck with repair, by putting $2k,$3K,$4K into it? Any suppliers you know to recommend or as importantly to AVOID? Thanks in advance for any information and have a great holiday!

Thomas