General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE.. need input

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Pik
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE.. need input

Can I get opinions on this please?
1999 Range Rover HSE 4.6

I have been looking at 03 and 04 Disco II's, but found this locally.
He is quite flexible on price, any common problems as relates to the airbags in these Rovers?

Appreciate any advice on pricing. Edmunds says $3100.

Andy

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The air suspension bags can develop a leak, not just Rovers. Some owners convert them back to just coils. Other problems can be overheating, slipped engine sleev, cracke block, etc. An indy inspection would be worthwhile, plenty of new owners on here that have major problems just a few days or weeks into owership, sometimes on the way home from auction. The factory shop and owner manuals are a free download, called the RAVE (Rover Automated Viewing Environment, but we think it secretly means Rovers A'int Very Economical).

Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a 1999 P38 and I had a few issues with it but overall I enjoyed the vehicle. If it is a late 1999, it will have the Bosch electronics managing the engine which is a bonus. You will also have 4 channel traction control and the stronger 4-pin front differential. I rebuilt the compressor, rebuilt the valve block, and replaced an air bladder. The parts were pretty inexpensive, around $125 for all of them, and it didn't require much time to do the work. Something to check for with the suspension when looking at the vehicle is the compressor recovery rate. Here's some info for guidance: Air Suspension Faults, Diagnosis and Repair

Another area that is a problem is the ABS system. The brakes on a P38 are unlike most anything else. It uses a pump to store pressurized brake fluid in the system, then when you press on the brake pedal the pressurized fluid is released and the brakes are activated. This also allows the traction control (TC) to activate immediately because the pressurized fluid can be released to brake the spinning tire. The pressurized fluid is stored against an accumulator that is basically a wear item. If it is not replaced often enough, the brake pump will be overworked and can burn out. Here's some links about how to check the brake system: abs, ABS Accumulator Replacement on a Range Rover 4.0/4.6/P38. I had a pressure switch fail on mine, which I replaced with a rebuilt one.

Also check out the ball joints and find out when the head gaskets were done.

Last edited by 04duxlr; 12-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Pik
Three Wheeling

Airbag issue was a loose connection, since fixed. Price is a more realistic $3600.
Should look at it tomorrow

Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Pik
Three Wheeling

Did not get chance to drive it today, but other than the headliner everything looked good.
One question...

How long should the compressor be running after cycling the suspension up and down? We went thru the range of heights and set it back to normal... the compressor was running for about a minute after that process was done.

This guy knows nothing about the service history, but with 150K plus miles it was one of the quietest 4.6's I have heard.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear

I'm a week into my new(to me) '00 HSE and so far, nothing bad has happened, which I'm thankful for. The prior owner had no records, so had no answers to my questions. It looks just like the one you're considering. It has 148k, the coil conversion is already done, and the headliner is good. The only thing obviously bad is a crack in the windshield. I paid $3100. Carfax lists it as being worth $1200 over bluebook, but it doesn't say how much that is. Regardless it's a good purchase so far. I'm liking everything about it, although I'm just a week into it.
If you can get it closer to 3k, I think it will be a good deal, but I'd still go $3500 for that one if I didn't have the one I have.