General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 RR 4.0S Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 RR 4.0S Problems

I am having a few issues, and need some advice. Any help is appreciated.

1) Door locks were bouncing, then rear hatch would not open so I took it in and had the actuator replaced on the RH side and at the rear hatch. 3 days later, rear hatch would not open, and RH door would not lock with the rest, but would unlock with the rest. Now, driver door will not lock all doors, only the key. Previous suggestions like check the fuses, and disconnect the battery have all proven to not help.

2) Heated windscreen works perfectly...on the passenger side! How can I get it to work on the Driver Side?

3) Same with the darn heated seat. Passenger works, driver does not. Any suggestions, short of dismantling the seat and replacing the element?

4) Footwell gets no hot air. The blendmotors move air to the defrost position, and to the face position, but do not move it to the footwell. Is this the famous RH side blend motor?

All else is near perfect in this Rover. Short these few items, I have a fantastic ride. Previous owner (plastic surgeon) was kind enough to put in an Arnott at each corner, so I am still riding on air...and you can't believe how clean he kept it!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check resistance in the heated front screens that will tell you what is working and what isnt.

most likely blend door motor issues.

but its likely you have either another failed lock issue on the driverside or something broke.

have it looked at to see what it is doing.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

oh and you can check the heated seats for good resistance but that is all. and its a pain to replace cause the whole seat comes out and even then its not that good afterwards.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had to mess with the leated windscreen yet so I cannot help there. The heating thing sounds like the blend motors so that is where I would start.

On the heated seats usually the bottom element is the one that is broken, there is a writeup at http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet.../seatheat.html That should help.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

Hello Mate,
I think you have to sell as early as so you have to Spend time on ebay to stockpile parts that may go wrong or will provide you a spare that you can change on your time. Look at our mileages and time frame. I only had it at the dealer to get daytime running lights enabled and to get a mechanical fitness cert. so I could changeover ownership. Since then its only been under our carport. I had to wait 2 weeks for a warranty airspring. From the far past 'take my name dammit' stated that initial ownership was like "walking on eggshells" but that will fade a little. Still want to hear results of your compression test and sniff tests if you continue with the purchase.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Overlanding

nmaggie98 -just buy yourself a Faultmate MSV and diagnose the root cause of the problem.

I suspect your problem is related to a bad earth somwhere.

The door lock problem could be as simple as the door handle not catching/closing properly, which happened to me recently.

Cheers, Paul.