General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 P38 Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something similar happened to me in my 2002 RR. It happened a few times and I couldn't find the leak. What happened was the nipple on the bottom of the reservoir where the Throttle Housing Return is connected was rotted out. So, the coolant was slowly leaking out even though the hose was still connected, until it eventually busted off.

I had to jam a chopstick I found in the trunk of my girlfriend's car in hole and top it off so I could limp it back home.

Once I got a new reservoir it was a quick 10 minute fix and runs like a champ. Be careful, the THR is a hard plastic line and can break if roughed up.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Drifting
Default Leaking Coolant

Thanks everybody for all the advice...I believe it is the heater core as the passanger side floor is wet...that was an excelent tip thank you...After looking at the workshop manual I am almost completely disgusted at all the work that needs to be done to get to this heater core. I seen a previous post which shows a short cut that I'll probably do...Gonna start tomorow working at it...HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After looking at the workshop manual I am almost completely disgusted at all the work that needs to be done to get to this heater core.
Your O rings have most likely started to go and need to be replaced. The process is a pain, but its not as bad as it is on many other cars. Here is the procedure, Have fun : http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ateroring.html

Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ha ha wrong,

easy way is to pull the two sides of the trans tunnel and then pull out the radio and hvac module and pull off the lower cover and take a long philips screwdriver and push it thru the side of till it reaches the oring screw. loosen the screw until the lines can be pulled off, and dont pull out that screw or your screwed.

you just need to put some water thru the lines first and then blow them out or else its coolant everywhere.

takes alot less time then pulling out the glove box.

but the job pays three hours.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

I just bought a 2001 30 anniversay edition in january. Coolant was leaking in front of the engine by the water pump...so, I tightened the bolts around the pump and the leak stopped at that particular spot. The truck is still leaking...its now leaking by the front left cylinder. For the past 4-5, I've been toping my coolant off. I've notice it only leaks after i drive. It's from the pressure built up in the cooling system. For a while I would just loosen the cap after I drive to release some of the pressure. Iwould find a couple of drops on the floor. I became lazy and stopped releasing the pressure. Last month I go under my car and tighten all the bolts around the leak, front left had cylinder. The leak stops at the 1st cylinder , but I find a new leak a the 2nd cylinder. I give up...I decided to continue to top off the coolant as needed until i get enough money to change the gaskets. As of this past memorial day weekend, the leaks all the sudden stopped. Today, May 29, after my drive to work, i find no leaks and my coolant level is still topped off. I don't know what to say..,I'll take the no leaks but I hope it stops for good, This crazy car.