General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Range rover, lots of wierd things?! PLEASE help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Range rover, lots of wierd things?! PLEASE help..

Hi, I just got a 2003 range rover and have a few questions...maybe I am just over paranoid because I have always heard "don't ever buy a used range rover!" Anyway, first thing, just started happening. There is a low high pitched noise almost like a ringing noise (which is kind of hard to hear)coming from what seems like the glove box...at first I was thinking it was from the 6 cd changer which is in the glove box, but when you pop the hood you can hear it a little better in that same area still not a super loud noise...it stays on for about 20 minutes after the car is turned off and while you're driving and then it stops. 2nd question...sometimes while going up a small hill It almost seems like I lose power..let me try to explain. I can hear the engine loudly while going up which is normal but then all of a sudden it gets quiet and I press on the accl and it won't speed up...but then if I press it all the way, the RPM's go way up and then it moves! My husband said it could just be from it being a heavy car..I am not sure..don't think it's the transmission because it will go when I press the accl all the way.. 3rd question (sorry) it seems like when I am sitting at a light and can hear the engine I hear it kind of make noises...like on off on off...almost like it's just overworking itself and then it calms then overworks..Not sure how to explain it (this is my biggest concern it worries me that there is something wierd going on, please tell me this is normal for an older car??)..And one more little question, this has happened twice, I will be sitting at a red light for a while and all of a sudden the car will start like lifting itself either from the front or the back...not sure why. Anyway I would love some insight I am hoping I am just over-reacting..I have never bought a used car so i'm just paranoid of every noise I hear...Thank you for your help! BTW it has 85,000 miles

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, welcome aboard!

Don't listen to the "dont ever buy a used Rover" people. While it's true it can be somewhat risky, as long as you properly check the vehicle before purchasing a used Rover can be a great thing.

High Pitched Noise: ECM cooling fan possibly...

Lose of Power: I'd probably side with your husband unless you're noticing other acceleration problems... he is correct about these being heavy vehicles (appr. 2 tonnes is quite a bit of weight).

Lifting at Lights: May just be the car has adjusted for your driving conditions (higher speeds lower it, etc) and is returning to the normal ride height. Ex: If you take freeways/interstates and then exit you should notice the change in ride height. Or... it could be an indication you have leaking air bags. I'd check the airbags myself to make sure they aren't too cracked, unless you have service records indicating they have been changed an '03 will probably be near needing the airbags replaced simply because of the effect of age on the rubber bladders of the bags. If the vehicle is adjusting frequently under normal driving conditions or while stationary there is most likely problems with the EAS system. Don't ignore the EAS as it is one of the most costly systems to repair on Rovers!

I'd advise not being paranoid about every sound. But do listen to the car as Rovers tend to give you some warning before the symptoms compound into a much bigger problem. I'd also advising reading up on Rovers a bit and the common problems since they are quite different then most American cars... and doing so may help you quite a bit in the future. You're already on the right track asking questions about it!

Regards

Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ldivine is right, don't get too worked up about the occassional quirks or you will drive yourself crazy. These are great cars and while you may have problems from time to time, there is not another car in the world like a Range Rover.

I also agree with ldivine on the causes, ECM cooling fan, the weight of the vehicle is just something that is different from whatever you were driving before and lifting, the car sometimes adjusts its height (AKA auto levels) depending on certain situations.

When you have time, go through some of the previous threads of this forum and you will find so much great information.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RPMs going up and down and the engine going quiet is the vehicle shifting from one gear to another trying to keep efficiency. I hate it when cars do this and will use the command shift and put it in the gear that allows me good efficiency without loosing momentum. Keep it in sport mode and it should hold the gear as you climb the hill and then shift up once it flattens out. High pitched noise is like ldivine stated, most likely a cooling fan of some kind. Rovers have lots of electronics that have fans, and if you ever work with computers, you'll notice their fans get noisy as the computer gets older. Air suspension will adjust itself as previously stated, cars with this option tend to do it a lot. Our XJR will randomly adjust itself from time to time, and maybe once a year decide its going to fail while driving but, will reset and resume working after the car is restarted. Just normal quirks of British cars, welcome to the club!