General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Range rover questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005 Range rover questions...

Hello Rover enthusiasts... Every time I ask a question on this forum I get the best results, so here's a few more.

1. From time to time my 2005 Range Rover wont start up in the mornings. It's always on the mornings that I parked it on the street (not in the garage). I've been told its because it may be cold in the mornings... But I live in California! It doesn't get THAT cold. What if I lived in Lake Tahoe? Or on the East Coast? It's much colder in those areas. I hevent brought it too the attention of my service department yet (I figure I have to pick my battles, and this may not be that high a priority). It DOES start on the second or third try, after I turn the key a few times. Any thoughts on whats going on????

2. The electronics in my 2005 Range Rover are acting up. I know this year had the updated fiber-optic wiring, and therefor shouldnt have as many issues as previous years, right? But occasionally, my CD changer wont play any CDs. It will act as if the cartridge isn't even loaded! Then the next time I restart the car, everything will work fine. Ha! It seems as if the Range Rover needed to be "re-started" (very much like shutting down and re-starting your computer at home). Any thoughts??

Thanks team Rover!!!

BTW, does anyone watch the TV show Bullrun, on Speed channel? I am waiting for a team to join with a Range Rover as their vehicle and win it all!!! Love that show.

B-Pak

Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling

My cd player does that every once in a while. i could never figure out what the problem is, i just deal with it. it may happen like 3 times a year.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

My 2005 does the same thing every once in a while with the CD changer. If you push pause on the screen usually. It stops, so you push eject on the cartridge, and the screen says there is no cartridge, but it won't eject. Sometimes it takes hours. I later found out that it was because it thinks that it is ejected when it freezes up like this, and it really needs to be forced out. Kind of confusing, but it is just a normal problem that you get used to. With the starting, mine was also doing that. I later found out that my battery was low, and it was causing the car to not start, as well as giving me messages like "TRANS FAIL SAFE," and "HDC INACTIVE". The electrical system starts to go screwy with low voltage, so $265 later a new battery fixed the problem. Hoped this helped

Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
7th Gear

Thanks, this does help...

So you think a new battery will solve the starting problem that I'm having in the mornings? I guess that makes sense.

It's a bit of a let-down that you have both had the same issue with your CD player and that you just "deal with it"... I was hopping for a better solution. Ugg.

thanks guys!
Bpak

Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I agree that if more then one person has the same issues with the CD player maybe it is much more wide spread. Perhaps a TSB has been issued on this topic has anyone checked?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:53 PM
7th Gear

How do you check the TSB?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its probably the battery, RRs will fake you out and make you think you have a good battery and give off other faults, classics like to do this a lot. I have an electric golf cart and every time it gets a bit colder than usual they start to wear out quickly and give me limited power, which is the sign they need to be replaced. I would assume its no different with your range. I'd fully charge it and then take it to like an auto zone or napa and have them do a free test for you. Hopefully thats all it is and not an alternator but, there would probably be other problems if it were the alternator. Make sure you check for corrosion, that means cut the insulation back a bit to see if any is growing in there. I found out why my p38 was eating batteries for breakfast, the ground wire looked fine from the outside but, I cut into it and it was extremely corroded. Anyways, good luck to ya!