General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Range Rover Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Range Rover Sport

I've got a 2010 RRS that gave me the Performance Reduced Warning, so I pulled over and had it towed to my local Indy shop to have it looked over. The vehicle never overheated, in fact it never got hot at all, but it was idling heavy and had some smoke coming out of the left exhaust pipe. That said, the shop called and basically laid out that I need a new cylinder gasket, but they did this without popping the engine open. Before I get any deeper into this, has anyone heard of a shop being able to diagnose the issue of a gasket like that without popping the block? No overheating issues or anything? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
I've got a 2010 RRS that gave me the Performance Reduced Warning, so I pulled over and had it towed to my local Indy shop to have it looked over. The vehicle never overheated, in fact it never got hot at all, but it was idling heavy and had some smoke coming out of the left exhaust pipe. That said, the shop called and basically laid out that I need a new cylinder gasket, but they did this without popping the engine open. Before I get any deeper into this, has anyone heard of a shop being able to diagnose the issue of a gasket like that without popping the block? No overheating issues or anything? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is what they are saying a new head gasket? If so, the gasket can blow between cylinders and they could be able to tell by just pressure testing adjacent cylinders (through the spark plug holes). Basically, meaning that the combustion gases are passing between those cylinders, and they therefore do not hold pressure.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Is what they are saying a new head gasket? If so, the gasket can blow between cylinders and they could be able to tell by just pressure testing adjacent cylinders (through the spark plug holes). Basically, meaning that the combustion gases are passing between those cylinders, and they therefore do not hold pressure.
After further discussions they hit me with the 10K to fix the issue problem, but again without even doing a leak down test, so I opted to have it taken to the shop that has done most work on our vehicles for the past 5+ years. I should have done that in the first place, but this was the closest shop to me when the incident occurred. That said, we shall see what the issue turns out to be and will post the outcome.

Many thanks

Old 05-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy

After further discussions they hit me with the 10K to fix the issue problem, but again without even doing a leak down test, so I opted to have it taken to the shop that has done most work on our vehicles for the past 5+ years. I should have done that in the first place, but this was the closest shop to me when the incident occurred. That said, we shall see what the issue turns out to be and will post the outcome.

Many thanks
That's absurd.

10k. Wow. Ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling

My normal indy shop figured it out.. Known issue. Bad Injector bank. Not 10K and definitely not the cylinder gasket and all the top end rebuild that iAutohause in Tempe, AZ recommended. That said, the service adviser at iAutohause asked my wife on the phone if we were willing to sell it based on it needing "so much work", so that explains a lot of their diagnosis. Happy to report she will be back on the streets shortly.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy

My normal indy shop figured it out.. Known issue. Bad Injector bank. Not 10K and definitely not the cylinder gasket and all the top end rebuild that iAutohause in Tempe, AZ recommended. That said, the service adviser at iAutohause asked my wife on the phone if we were willing to sell it based on it needing "so much work", so that explains a lot of their diagnosis. Happy to report she will be back on the streets shortly.
Good result!

10k. Hahaha. Wow. That's *****.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM
4th Gear

Hello
New to forum, but wife S type " Ford V6 has this message come on when I get on the gas pedal. Has Cayenne turbo, now 911 S and what the message means is get screwed by the dealer!. They want 3 years ago, $2k to change injectors, plugs. (Ford injectors cost $29 @. ) I just turn off ignition and the restart car and no more messages.

This is what is called limp mode. Happen to MB CLK 430; 911S Cab if you get on it and think it is a race car. Never did it on Cayenne, but they had problems too. Coolant pipes leaked; bad pencil coils on spark plugs, etc.

Just trade 2015 Ford Explorer of '13 RRS (only issue is rotors not changed by Maserati dealer-bummer- court date soon).

Bought used RRS with4 year/100k limited warrantee from LR, $250 ded for $3k not bad Cayenne cost $5k and uses every dollar of it. Cayenne was rusting out from NE winters; Explorer had transmission issues, like S550 , would bang sometimes on start up. Benz fixed it with software patch; Ford couldn't figure it out.

If coolant is clean and oil not milky (no more dip sticks) then hove is gasket bad.
You can buy $35 compression tester and check each cylinder. But the Gen 111 V8 are good. So good I trade a '07 S550 even for '11 Jag XF with same engine . Get tickets with XF no issues. ( Ford GT 302 cuin Jag tuned engine).

$10k you can get a new engine, or used supercharged one. Good luck. Try resetting computers.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

Had the same exact issue on my wife's '10 LR4 (Same engine I think). Since it was still under the extended warranty the dealer took their time diagnosing the problem. Turns out it was also bad fuel injectors.

But repair bills like that are why I don't like to keep these things outside of warranty.