General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'93 RR County rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 RR County rotor?

[&:]I'm a newbie and working on this with a mechanic friend. Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Two of the plugs were really bad along with their wires. Took a lot of force to pull off the rotor arm and the shaft came up with it about a 1/2" (I know now the plastic clip retainer can be busted by this improper extraction of the rotor.) With the replacement rotor on, it ran with which seemed to be a timing problem. Before we could address that, the copper piece off the top of the rotor came loose. We're waiting on another replacement rotor and then Jim (mechanic) is going to adjust the timing. He doesn't think the retainer clip was damaged. We're going to also replace the fuel filter. I've filled the tank with premium with an additive to clean out the injectors. If there are additional problems after this he's going to look to the injectors and a carbon problem. Is there a way to diagnose the retainer clip without having to dismantle the distributor? I've also heard that if the rotor isn't to exact specs that it can influence performance drastically. I'm under the gun on this, guys, so any assistance is most appreciated!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Mudding
Default RE: '93 RR County rotor?

I did that on mine too. $200 of parts later I had a rebuilt distrib. I couldn't find the plastic HAT without buying a rebuild kit. check with the dealer -- I didn't have one near me.

1. mark the position of the rotor carefully and VERY accruately. make it easier to re-install. leave the wires connected to the old cap.
2. pull the distrib.
3. tear down the distrib
4. test the vacuum advance -- mine was bad (common) and would not hold vacuum (hole in diaphram leaked air). I found it was the REAL reason I needed the tune-up. rebuild it and install the rotor with the distrib out.
5. seal off the air hole on the shaft with RTV silicone. RTV everything you can to seal up the unit (outsdie unit, wiring, etc...)
6. re-install the distrib and line up the rotor according to #1
7. spray wire-dryer inside cap and distrib/rotor. RTV the NEW factory cap and install it. positively ensure no water can enter the distrib.
8. move wires to new cap -- RTV them on too.
9. RTV the whole wire connector area of the coil.

you won't believe how much smoother, stronger, and faster starting the rover will be. And, you can submerge the engine for short time periods. I've had mine in the swamp so deep the the hood was submerged (using mankel snorkel) for 60 feet and seldom a failure, never a stall out. .

Old 05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
5th Gear

Bought a remanufactured distributor. A spring is loose on it. Does anyone have step by step on dismantling the distributor to replace the spring? My discharge from VA hospital is today and another Iraqi vet is helping me. Corpsman!!

(update): got the springs in, they came out. Sent back, expecting replacement tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
5th Gear

Bought new distributor.