General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 4.0 Q and A (hopefully) - shifting and temp probs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 4.0 Q and A (hopefully) - shifting and temp probs.

Hi all. I am new to the forums but have been reading for a little while now.

I have a little problem with my 96 4.0 and would appreciate some input, especially if you have had a similar problem. Actually there are a couple of problems (when are there not though). The car has aprox. 66,000 miles.

Problem #1 appeared several weeks ago. When I start the car (warm or not) and start driving the car (in Drive) sticks in second gear. I am moving along and then all of a sudden there is no more acceleration. If I give it a little more gas the revs don't move up nor does the car accelerate (but you definitely feel like it wants to). Either I wait for the car to shift itself (which can be minutes) or I give the accelerator a fast push down as if I were flooring it then ease up (at this point the car moves into the next gear and performs normally). If this has any bearing - The Engine is new, it was replaced about three months ago after the block cracked.

Problem #2 The water pump recently went. Ordered a replacement and had the mechanic install it. I get the car back and it is fine for about a week. I noticed that the car smelled of coolant when it was running warm. I did not notice the temp high at all so assumed it was just some left over smell from when it was leaking. Then later that night I saw that the car was overheating. I parked the car for a second to look under it if there was a leak or any steam and did not see any. As I started to drive the car back to my house (did not wait for it to cool off... I was in a rush) the temp went back down. This happened about two or three more times. The car overheated when I was mostly sitting still and then when I went to drive it it went back down. The smell also seemed to go away when I was driving.
Problem 2a. Not sure if this is related to this but I figure maybe someone would know. About a day after the temp thing started the car seemed to almost stall out after starting it and the oil pressure light went on until I gave it a little gas. The oil is at the appropriate level and recently changed. it idles at aprx. 2k rev's when cold (which seems high to me). I have not noticed this oil pressure problem again but it did happen a couple times in the same day where the car seemed like it was going to stall (while the engine was hot and cold).

Okay so there are my two main problems (maybe three). I am no mechanic (as you can probably tell) so if if you can afford the time and proper advice I would appreciate any detailed input if there is something I would have to do myself to try and resolve this.
Thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: 96 4.0 Q and A (hopefully) - shifting and temp probs.

anyone?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Problem #1- Just a guess but I'd say your cat converter or both collapsed,

Problem #2 Bad water pump, or, another guess, did they replace the thermostat, or if they did, perhaps it was a bad one.

Get a better Mechanic, someone that dosen't hand you the car with the same problem

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1: sounds like a gearbox, transfer box and/or torque converter failure. Probably gonna have to replace it... it's not something easy to fix or troubleshoot
2a. 2K revs isn't something i'd be worried about

Regards

Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the responses.
for #1. My cats have been rattleing for some time, but they would mostly stop after a little while. And if it is a prob with the gearbox, transfer box and/or torque converter I guess I am going to need to see a mechanic.
#2. I was really hoping not to hear water pump as a possible problem. I ordered the part myself to save a couple hundred bucks. How could the thermostat be causing the problem where the car will actually overheat (where you get the smell of coolant)? Is it possible that it went bad when the old water pump started leaking? So far today the car has not overheated at all so I am hoping that indicates that the problem is not with the water pump.

#2a. I guess I just worried about it since it seems so loud. I never remembered my classic being that loud.

As for the mechanic it is near imposible to find a decent mechanic for these type of vehicles. I only trust one mechanic and he does not work on rovers. This mechanic has rovers here and there and he has been around forever.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Drifting

My 96 had that same problem, no power, seemed like it wanted to go, and turned out to be a collapsed Cat Converter, same thing happened on my 95 Tahoe, thought the engine seized, but the converter was the prob.

Thermostats sometimes stop working, or are junk to begin with, will stop the flow and allow to overheat.
That would be the cheapest fix to start with.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
4wd Low

Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate it.

I think I am going to go with the assumption that the thermostat is the problem. Once I replace that if it does not stop I will assume it is the water pump =*( < is this something I can replace on my own? If anyone knows a link that would outline this for me it would be appreciated (pictures would be very helpful).

It only happens when the car idles for several minutes or when I am in a big traffic jam.

As for the cat's being collapsed... can anyone tell me if there is any harm in leaving that alone for several more months?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Please et us know how everything turns out!

I'm crossing my fingers for you that your problems will be cheap fixes.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
4wd Low

I will post it when I get it checked out. I would like to try and replace the thermostat myself so I may just keep searching until I can find very clear instructions on how to do that (no luck yet). As for the other problems, I hope they are cheap fixes as well. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
4wd Low

Not really an update just yet. I have not really had a chance to do anything yet. I was reading online about how the serpentine belt actually drives the water pump. From the site: " The belt should be changed as soon as any sign of cracking is seen or even a slight squeal is heard. The water pump and fan are driven by the smooth back side of the belt, which can slip fairly easily...."
Now this person also continues saying how the temp rises (although his experiences are in hot desert temps while offroading and mine are driving to my fiances house =). I was going to look into the Cat's but recently learned that while away from home they were replaced by family members who used the car. needless to say I am happy that they were replaced and that is not the cause of the problem. I am going to check the belt (which was replaced recently with the water pump) to see if it is cracked or damaged for some reason, especially since this morning when starting the car I heard some squeels for about 5-10 seconds. And I also plan on changing the thermostat when I can find some info on how to DIY.

As for the other issue (the trans. shifting from first to second) I will have to deal with that after all of this. I am going to speak to the mechanic who swapped engines for me (old one went kaput a few months back) and see if there is something he may pick up.

anyways will keep you posted but it may take some time to get all this done since I am currently studying for the first part of a liscensing exam.

Quick Reply: 96 4.0 Q and A (hopefully) - shifting and temp probs.