General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Range Rover Electric Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Range Rover Electric Gremlins

I need help! I have a 99 Range Rover 4.0 S (Lucas, not Bosch). I have approx 110K miles. I have had the RR for 6 months, and some strange things have just begun. First, the passenger door (then later the rear doors, in unison) would begin locking and unlocking it's self. Then, the rear hatch would not open at all. I had this repaired (diagnosed as the acutators for each door). 1 day later, the locking/unlocking has stopped, because the power lock on the passenger door does not LOCK, but will unlock, and the rear hatch is locked shut AGAIN!

Finally, 2 days ago, I went over a speedbump slowly, and got the SRS Failure light. On, then off, on then off. Today, no SRS light.

It is maddening.

This RR has a functioning Air Suspension, I have had a top end overhaul, and so the drivetrain is excellent, and the interior is spotless. Needless to say, I love it, and want it to work, but I need help! I cannot afford to go to a $85/hr mechanic to diagnose every issue.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you started by checking the battery?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I will have the battery checked tomorrow. Is it possible it is that simple? I failed to include: Mysteriously, the passenger seat has now become immobilized (except for the lumbar support). Fuses are all in working order for all issues as well.

Last edited by nmaggie98; 10-06-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Left out text.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

I had the battery checked. The battery is fine, the starter is fine, and the charging system is fine. There is a slight drain (3.8 Amps) when the RR is completely shut off, which is suspect. I have read that the BeCM will operate for 30 seconds after the vehicle is shut off. I don't know if this is the case, so any advice is appreciated.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SRS light is probably just the connector coming loose under the seat, its yellow I believe.

Just for future reference, the tailgate will not open unless all four doors are unlocked. I think something is interfering with your cars aerial remote receiver causing it to freak out. Do you have a battery drain problem too? First thing I would do, would be to disconnect the battery for a good 5 min and then reconnect it. This should essentially "reset" the car. I would also see if you can disconnect the key less entry antenna. Disconnecting the antenna will prevent any further interference. Your remote will still work, but at a limited range.

Look for shorts and check for loose grounds. Make sure your alternator is putting out EXACTLY the proper amount of power. If all of the above fail, chances are your becm is about ready to go. However, since the becm is the most expensive repair, lets not start there .

Last edited by LRScott; 10-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
7th Gear

I appreciate the information. Is there a specific process for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? I have read stories of lock ups and complete lockouts with a battery disconnect.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Make sure your keys are not in the rover when you do it, just in case. Yours might lock up if it is having becm problems. I have probably disconnected the battery on my rover 5 or 6 times in the last 6 months and haven't had an issue. Just need to punch in the radio code afterward, and set all the windows, and everything should be good. You can disconnect either battery lead, although it is recommended you disconnect the negative (black) cable. Disconnecting any of battery connectors will cause the vehicle to lose power, so you do not need to disconnect them both.

If worse comes to worse and the vehicle locks you out and immobilizes the engine, just make sure you have the EKA access code, and that the emergency exterior door lock works.

Another thing, supposedly on 96 or newer range rovers (I have not experienced this so I may not have this "feature") you need to leave the key in the ignition when disconnecting the battery to avoid immobilization. So either make sure you have a spare key, or leave the doors open and the windows down when disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
7th Gear

OK. I was re-reading this in preparation to disconnect the battery. What do you mean by re-setting the windows, and where can I find the emergency key code (EKA) (in the event of a total lockout)?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EKA code is most likely with your manual (although it should be stored separate) in the unlikely event your car is broken into or stolen). If you don't have your EKA code you'll have to request from an official Land Rover dealership and show proof of ownership.

Resetting the windows just involves running the windows up and down until the brain and display confirm that the windows are indeed set.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Pro Wrench

I do not understand why the rover makes you "set" your windows. I remember when I took it to the mechanic for a pre-buy inspection. It would say "window not set" 5 times in information display along with a beep after I turned it off. The mechanic thought it was having a weird electrical malfunction . All you need to do, is roll each window down and then up, and it will say "window set" do it for all five including the sunroof. I THINK I have my EKA access code lol. Not sure if that is what it is (a 4 digit number is written on a security ID card in pen, have no idea what it goes to).

Quick Reply: 99 Range Rover Electric Gremlins