General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a 01 P38 - 122K miles - too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined this forum as I am currently in the market for a disco I.
Personally I think your issue is that you are going to a dealer. Most dealers are crooked and for sure any one you will come across in NY fits the bill (I live in Queens). I say look for a private sale, that person will know more about the history of the truck as well.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree with Wilson, $10k is way too much. If it has been maintained 122k miles is nothing. Just keep your eyes pealed and you will find a deal. I bought mine with 100k miles for just over $4k and it is a very limited production model.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Disco and the P38 are completely different vehicles. I have both so I can actually speak to their differences. One thing to keep in mind is the motors are essentially the same between the two so one is no better than the other for the most part. I would not buy an 03' but the 04' would be cool. I feel the 99-00 D2 are great choices as well. The wheel base is different in both so they will drive completely different. If I want the best ride I drive the Range, if I want to be like everyone else I drive the D2.

The main parts to watch when buying either is the engine head gaskets, air suspension and electrical. They each have their own problems. I like the air suspensions in both the Disco and the P38 and will always recommend keeping them rather than switching to coils. The D2 is prone to the 3 amigos while the P38 is notorious for the suspension issues and random electrical glitches.

I guess what I am saying is that is you want a P38 then find one with about 100-150K and less than $6K. If they have made it over 130K then they probably did the head gaskets. If they did not then plan on doing them and use it as a bargaining tool. The suspension bags will wear and will need replacing about then as well but they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. There are nice examples of P38's were I live that are all around $4-$5K. They are out there just keep looking. If you can get the one you have looked at for near $5500 then it probably a decent deal even if it needs some work in the future.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Just purchased a 99 4.6 HSE with 94k on the clock for 6500. And the paint and interior are in meticulous shape.

For more: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36985

I feel like I got a pretty good deal but I'm new here.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Disco's repairs are less, may need a lot of repairs but cost will be lower. I've had 7 Disco's and 2 RR's (P38). Consider about 3k normal investment in repairs and services not done. 03 disco's have engine issues so check vin range.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE=2000_328ci;217829]Just purchased a 99 4.6 HSE with 94k on the clock for 6500. And the paint and interior are in meticulous shape.

Beautiful. I hope to emulate your fortuitous purchase! Thanks for sharing the experience.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by handsome rob
The Disco and the P38 are completely different vehicles. I have both so I can actually speak to their differences. One thing to keep in mind is the motors are essentially the same between the two so one is no better than the other for the most part. I would not buy an 03' but the 04' would be cool. I feel the 99-00 D2 are great choices as well. The wheel base is different in both so they will drive completely different. If I want the best ride I drive the Range, if I want to be like everyone else I drive the D2.

The main parts to watch when buying either is the engine head gaskets, air suspension and electrical. They each have their own problems. I like the air suspensions in both the Disco and the P38 and will always recommend keeping them rather than switching to coils. The D2 is prone to the 3 amigos while the P38 is notorious for the suspension issues and random electrical glitches.

I guess what I am saying is that is you want a P38 then find one with about 100-150K and less than $6K. If they have made it over 130K then they probably did the head gaskets. If they did not then plan on doing them and use it as a bargaining tool. The suspension bags will wear and will need replacing about then as well but they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. There are nice examples of P38's were I live that are all around $4-$5K. They are out there just keep looking. If you can get the one you have looked at for near $5500 then it probably a decent deal even if it needs some work in the future.
Thanks, handsome rob. This is really good insight - straightforward and common sense which is what I need. I'm currently in the bargaining stage with the dealer but so far he is sticking to his prices. I'm a cash buyer so his profit is less than someone coming in with a financing or something a bit higher so we'll see.... I have other "irons in the fire" in the Disco II world. I have my eyes on a nice 99 Disco S and a 02 Disco SE, respectively with 140K miles and 90K miles on them. I would rather buy a RR because I expect to purchase Disco II later this year (2011) for off roading and this would be my daily going to work car - my wife "stole my" LR3 for daily driving... hmmm... Anyway, thanks for all of your inputs and help in this issue. I really am learning a lot!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you are looking at the D2 then maybe go with the 99 since you can add the CDL fairly easily as to the 02 is a lot more work; they are not that much different anyways.

I wheel both of mine and have found I prefer the Range, just comfort wise and coolness factor, you do not see too many of them out there wheeling. The aftermarket support for the P38 is almost non existent but I am hoping to change that with a few products this year.

Looking through Craigslist I find a good amount of P38's for the $4K to $6K range that would be good candidates. At least with an individual when you wave cash in front of them they tend to deal. When I bought my last D2 I offered $1500 less and they took it without blinking. You just need tot ell the story of what you will need to do to it and how much it will cost.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/2140281724.html

This one is $6K, says negotiable but I would be wary since it looks like it is on the bump stops. Now it could have just been sitting there for a while and got low but at least you can deal. It is hard finding them in the CL listings since everyone adds Range Rover to their listing to get you to look at their crap Lexus.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
4wd Low

I haven't been on this forum in awhile. You guys helped me out when I was searching for an 01-02 RR. I never did purchase one, I ended up buying a MB ML350. I absolutely love it, but I still catch myself STARING at p38s whenever (rarely) I see them, and I still want one. Never looked into the 2000 model but was this a good year? Found this ad on craigslist the price is amazing, and I'm really interested if the suspension is all that is wrong with it:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2106379208.html

Quick Reply: About to buy a 01 P38 - 122K miles - too many miles?