General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a 01 P38 - 122K miles - too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P38's and Rovers tend to have a distinct aroma. Not sure if it is good or bad.

One thing to do is clean the leather real well - use Lexol or a quality saddle soap. That can help freshen up the leather and kinda get it smelling a bit how it should. Follow with a good conditioner like Lexol or Zymol. Best to do this on a hot...well at this time of year at least a sunny day to try to open up the pores.

Next thing - go to your local sporting goods store and get some odor eliminator that you would use if you were hunting. Primos Silver is good stuff, several good brands to pick from- just make sure it is unscented odor remover. Some smell like "fresh earth" and you don't want your Rover to smell like a clod of dirt.

Spray the carpet and headliner with the odor eliminator. Go easy on the headliner - a few light coats rather than soaking it all at once - allow it to completely dry in between sprayings.

This will take care of a lot of the odors.

Change both cabin air filters too - they could be moldy or very dirty.

And orbital isn't too hard to use, easier than a regular buffer. Porter Cable makes a good one. It took me a while to get really good with a regular buffer - the light weight of an orbital makes it a little less tiring.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris X
The P38's and Rovers tend to have a distinct aroma. Not sure if it is good or bad.

One thing to do is clean the leather real well - use Lexol or a quality saddle soap. That can help freshen up the leather and kinda get it smelling a bit how it should. Follow with a good conditioner like Lexol or Zymol. Best to do this on a hot...well at this time of year at least a sunny day to try to open up the pores.

Next thing - go to your local sporting goods store and get some odor eliminator that you would use if you were hunting. Primos Silver is good stuff, several good brands to pick from- just make sure it is unscented odor remover. Some smell like "fresh earth" and you don't want your Rover to smell like a clod of dirt.

Spray the carpet and headliner with the odor eliminator. Go easy on the headliner - a few light coats rather than soaking it all at once - allow it to completely dry in between sprayings.

This will take care of a lot of the odors.

Change both cabin air filters too - they could be moldy or very dirty.

And orbital isn't too hard to use, easier than a regular buffer. Porter Cable makes a good one. It took me a while to get really good with a regular buffer - the light weight of an orbital makes it a little less tiring.
Great suggestions. I used leatherique leather rejuvinator and pristine clean on the seats to try and remove any imperfections in the leather but will definitely grab that primos silver stuff. Sounds promising

Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has a distinct smell too....Don't know why it smells the way it does, I love it though. Smells better than a Cadillac! In the past I have used carpet cleaning soap along with a low intensity pressure washer for the floor mats. Got a shop vac to suck the water out of it. I usually do it in the summer when I can leave them out to dry.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the smell is the aroma of Pure Awesomeness.

I love how the P38 handles in the snow better than my Discos, I got to wondering why I do not drive it more.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Mudding

Rob - how much better does the P38 handle than the Disco? Any idea why?

Just curious I might be adding another winter duty vehicle to the fleet and was thinking Disco...

Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not exactly sure why it does better. When I made that statement I was referring to normal snow driving. When the CDL is locked then the Disco does fantastic. I feel that the P38 has a better stability system and when I am in low range it will crawl over just about anything. It has a longer wheel base too so maybe that is why it does not feel as squirmy.

Plus it is not a power house so I do not lose as much traction when taking off at a light.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Mudding

Gotcha - thanks for the input Rob. I'm debating about retiring the Jeep to woods-only duty and picking up a new winter commuter and Disco was high on my list. I've only driven a friend's Disco offroad and it was great in the muck.

Well that's my excuse for wanting to buy another truck anyway.