General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Fault & Traction Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Fault & Traction Failure

As soon as I start up my 2000 4.6 HSE, I get a beep and a "Traction Failure" message. During any hard application of the brakes (like stopping at a red light), I then get another beep and an "ABS Fault" in the message center. Sometimes the TC and ABS lights will illuminate, other times they won't. What is the problem here? Just as a note, I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced last week.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: ABS Fault & Traction Failure

traction failure on a p38 is usaully caused by a failed, or failing precharge pump, sometimes its just the pressure sensor... hows the pedal, nice and firm at about 1/4 travel, or does it go down to the floor?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Drifting

I just plugged in my OBDII code reader in and I got fault code P1590. Not sure exactly what it means and I've heard conflicting things on the internet. Was this caused by my mechanic when he did the front end work?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting more then one OBDII fault and were you getting the fault before having the work done?
If you weren't having the problems before replacing the ball joints I would take it back because P1590 can indicate it's detecting a rough ride which could very well be caused by improper installation of the ball joints.

OBDII codes aren't an exact science on Rovers as they really weren't meant to be used.

Regards

The following users liked this post:
Rangie Will. (03-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

1590 is a rough road signal, usually caused by a false wheel speed sensor input. check then, namely the fronts, make sure that theyre all the way seated into the wheel knuckle, one might have been left loose and have too large of an airgap, this can also cause youre problem. however it shouldnt cause it to throw the message until you start to move. id also check the wiring and connector for the sensor, or take it back to where you got the work done.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Yeah I brought the car back this morning. My mechanic hooked his Autologic machine to the Rover and said there was an error with the RH-side ABS speed sensor or something as well as the EAS ride height sensor. He is assuming his tech did it during the work, and fixing them at no charge.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Drifting

The pedal is going all the way to the floor, and braking power is much reduced.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check relays 5 and 7. See if that fixes it. Next, I'd try bleeding it and if that doesn't work i'd change the fluids. Could also be the ABS pump...

Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
4wd Low

idivine is right on the money.. make sure you bleed the "proper way" its very systematic and has to be followed by the book or you will never have any pedal.. if you need instructions on how to bleed let me know.. also after bleeding it could be the abs pump or the accumulator which are very prone to fail

Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default p1590 rough road signal implausible

I noticed my rear left tire statrting to wear more than my other's soon after that that the 3 evil eyes ''appeard'' my obdii read p1590 ... Turns out a bad shock cuased the speed wheel sensor to become out of gap ....poped it out and put right back in and took care of the plroblem ,
Originally Posted by thelokolobo
as soon as i start up my 2000 4.6 hse, i get a beep and a "traction failure" message. During any hard application of the brakes (like stopping at a red light), i then get another beep and an "abs fault" in the message center. Sometimes the tc and abs lights will illuminate, other times they won't. What is the problem here? Just as a note, i had the upper and lower ball joints replaced last week.

Thanks.