General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac air flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac air flow

I have a 1998 RR 4.0 SE , My problem is with the hvac air flow. I've been through all The blend motors, air diverter motors and outside air flaps and have everything working(after tearing the dash down several times) but I don't have the desired air flow to keep cool when its hot outside. I do have cold air coming out just not with force. I've pulled the supply pipes off the blower motors and I could easily blow the leaves from my yard with the force they are producing, yet very little air flow from any vent selected. I have closed the outside air flaps and am drawing inside air only so I know its not the filters. and nothing is blocking the intakes at the floor. The system is fully charged. Does anybody have a suggestion as to how to increase the air flow or have an exploded view of the air box and diverter flaps . Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Should be in the RAVE shop manuals, link below.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Only things that I can think, assuming both blowers are working properly, would be it blowing out of all levels, not just the indicated selection, or the ducting not being attached properly and 'leaking' air behind the dash.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have confirmed that the ducts are attached firmly, and the level selection works normally . I did purchase it at 232,000 miles. has any one had possible blockages from the outside air intake blowing dirt and leafs into the coils blocking air flow. I have pulled the out side air blower filters and have had to vacuum such things that fell into the squirl cage motors blower wheels. I would to figure out how to access the blower box to inspect the coils , any suggestions ? Thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE shop manual covers that pretty well.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check the Alternator output

I once had a Chevy suburban that when I needed it the most the ac would quit cooling enough to keep us from sweating. I tried several replacing of parts on the AC system that might fail but nothing fixed the problem. Two AC repair shops were stumped because they couldn't find anything wrong when I took the truck to the shop.
I agreed to take a friend and his two kids to Arkansas from Louisiana to pick up his tools from a previous wedding and the AC would come and go.
Then the alternator failed on the interstate, so we rolled down the windows and turned the ac off to save battery.
We reached the house as the battery died. I got a ride 20 miles to a Oreillys and picked up a new alternator.
Once installed the power from the new alternator fixed the AC problem.

I found that if the alternator drops below 11 volts the ac compressor shuts down.

That's all I had to do to fix my AC problem, relplaced the alternator.

It may not be your problem but think outside the AC system, it failed on me and fixed the AC which gave me trouble for two years. Since the new alternator was installed the ac would blow and chill perfectly.