General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market warranty company?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market warranty company?

Can anyone recommend an after market warranty company? I have read horror stories. I'm buying an 05 RR with 60,000 miles.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

most aftermarket warranty are junk and not worth the paper they are written on,
very few people actually get a warranty claim paid out. Read it closely and check with the local BBB before buying.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You might call a Ford dealer and talk to their finance manager, they offer the best policy still available not sure if they are allowed to write a policy on a vehicle not purchased from the.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 AM
8th Gear

Stay away from after market warranty companies. They will never and I mean never pay for any claim you put in. It's always an excuse after the other. Trust me on this one. You are better off taking your chances and paying for repairs out of pocket.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Extended warranties are a great thing to have, as long as you get the right one, and work with the right shop, it's two fold. Extended warranties are really nothing but a mechanical breakdown insurance policy. Some companies are much more difficult to get things covered then others, but also, some shops just don't like dealing with them, and can cause the claim to be denied, there's a certain amount of etiquette that needs to be used between the shop and the warranty. Like Mike said, Ford ESP, ExtraCare is one of the best out there. Also good are JMNA, and EasyCare. Continental is a good warranty, but an absolute pain for the shop, we have to jump through hoops with them. The big thing with buying one, and this may sound silly, but buy the most expensive policy they have... as in from one company, don't get the 'Silver' plan.
Realistically, if you're able to upfront, and have it financed as part of the deal, say it costs 6,000, and lasts to just north of 100k miles, you will probably see them cover both your front air springs, your EAS compressor, several different coolant leaks, maybe an oil leak or two. Just that stuff right there will put you about even with the warranty, and those are not catastrophic failures, as in transmission.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling

NEVER, EVER, EVER buy one. Did I mention don't buy one? They are always a scam. They make an obscene amount of money off those things. Many dealerships make more selling those than they do off the vehicle itself. I was a dealer for 4 years and I know all the dirty tricks. Getting you to buy the warranty is one of them. You are much better off putting money aside in an "emergency fund" and pay the repairs yourself. You can also save by shopping the repair around. You would be amazed at the different quotes you will get. The other thing is take advantage of this site and many things you can do yourself. I just did some transmission work on my Mercedes and the shops wanted $1,500+ to do it and I did the job in 6 hours for only $300. Put some money aside and you will always win. The only time an extended warranty pays you is if you have extraordinarily bad luck and almost every major component fails. Remember, these companies make money and a lot of it. They don't do that by paying out more than what you paid in. Getting reimbursement for covered repairs can also be a nightmare. Just don't do it.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I'll break it down in easy terms so you can see how they work. The numbers below are just nice round numbers to illustrate the point and are no where near actual prices. Remember, these companies are not charity organizations. They do this to make money. The insurance company will do their homework and determine that an '05 RR will cost an average of $700 (I wish) in repairs over the lifetime of the policy. Since they need to make money they will tack on $300 to give them a 30% profit margin. Then, they sell the policy to you for $1,000. If you have average luck your repairs will cost you $700 and you lose that $300 (profit) to the insurance company. If you maintain your RR and treat it right and it is better than average you give that much more to the insurance company. Now lets say you have bad luck, like 30% worse than the average guy and you have $1,000 in repairs. You just broke even. So, unless you have significantly worse than average luck with your RR you will be giving the insurance company money. But hey, that's why they do it after all. They aren't doing it because they are nice people and want to pay your bills for you. Put some cash into a savings account and forget its there until you need a major repair. In the long run you will always save money doing it this way. It's a numbers game. You can use them in your favor or theirs.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It is an insurance policy, and with all insurance policies, there is a risk of loss. In my opinion, and after dealing with many different customers, with various policies, there are some that i strongly recommend, and others that I would stay away from. The negatives you hear from people, are most likely from people that bought a bad policy.
Yes, they are in it to make money, however, with most Rovers, they do end up paying for themselves over the life of the policy.
My opinion is is based on being a tech and an adviser, and up until recently, at a dealership, where we made less money with a warranty claim, then COD. And i still recommended them then.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
8th Gear

Good luck going with Roverguy7's advice. Hopefully u don't end up learning the hard way like some of us did.

By the way, if u do need to get one regardless, stay away from Autosource of America LLC. They are based in New Jersey.