General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on RangeRover vs LR3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions on RangeRover vs LR3

I love me old 95 P38, but time may be coming to upgrade as age and miles seem to be catching up to us.

Just like to hear opinions on the LR3 in comparison to the ole Range Rover off road.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Any opinions on RangeRover vs LR3

I cannot comment on the off road comparison between the LR3 and the RR, but the main reason we bought the RR was the space. The RR is bigger, and if you plan on transporting people or things, you will find it easier in the RR.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Although the LR3 has third row seating which is a plus for a bigger audience. Off Roading they are very similar. Most of the LR sponsored media adventures feature LR3's and I would say that they are equally capable but the LR3 is a lot less expensive. If off roading is your primary concern and you could go either way, the LR3 is your best bet due to value.

With that said, if you want more luxury, more prestige and all the bellsand whistels, the RR is better. One of my favorite things about the RR is that you can tear up a trail in morning, go shopping in the afternoon and go to a nice dinner at night and you have the perfect car for each event. "Whatever you do or wherever you go, the Range Rover is always appropriate."

I drove the LR3 as a loaner for three days inOctober and I was very impressed with the on road handling. In some ways it had better road manners than the Range Rover but not by much. The center stack wasn't as nice and it didn't have the refinement but overall it was great.

The great thing about this situation is that you won't go wrong either way. Just make sure to get the HSE if you go LR3.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also make sure, if not the HSE at least the SE. The base model is a V6 and skimps on features. A great off roader any way you look at it. By the way the RR sport is based off the LR3.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a fair comparison. For starters, you have a $30 Thousand dollar price tag difference and its with reason. You get alot more luxury with the full size Range Rover. Maybe you should be comparing a LR3 to a Range Rover Sport. With those two, I would go with the RR Sport.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Drifting

I love the P38 version probably more then any other vehicle out of the 40 or so that I have owned in my long life.
I detest the looks of the new Range Rover, as well as the limitless miseries I have heard of from friends and family who have owned them and swore to never buy a Land Rover again because of them.
My dad went through the same diasterous time with his 08 that this guy did on You Tube with his Lemon.
I hear the very same from my mechanic who is the most respected in SouthPort Ct, who works on my Audis and Range Rovers.
He say, buy before the Warranty and sell just before it runs out.

On the other hand, working on the P38 myself is becoming more and more manageable for me to work on myself, with little or no need for a Dealer or Mechanic.

I have heard good reports on the LR3s as far as reliability, few to none of the major problems that the RR's have.

So, I wanted to know, is the LR3 comparable to the P38 off road, or just not yet there?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling

I am surprised you hate the look of the MKIII so much especially since it is an evolution of the past.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Drifting

One reason may be that everyone has one here in Fairfield County Ct, but the real reason is, to me it just dosen't look like an OffRoading machine that was made to take all the hard stuff, and those ridiculous side vents really bother me.

The P38 is no nonsense, at least that is my opinion.

Am I being too hard on the newer ones, do they not have the horrible reputation that I have heard of, or is it just malcontents who complainreally, I would like to know more.

If someone can attest to the MkIII being as reliable or better then the P38, and as capable off road, then I am willing to listen!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as an off roader they use them in the G4 challenge, I would say that is capable. Reliable? That is the question to which I do not know the answer Luxury 1 would know more on that front.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Reliability will be an issue with both but not as much of an issue as in the past. If you buy a new one (either version) you will have some electrical issues but it is not like the old days when things constantly went wrong (in most cases). Overall though you will find reliability to be below the industry average(in keeping with Land Rover heritage).

As I am sure you know, there is agood deal of parts sharing among the entireLR line which means similar results. With that said,the underpinnings of the LR3 and the Sport are the same but not the RR.