General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from 95 to 99 the P38 has a "GEMS" management system which used green coolant and from 99 to 02 the P38 has the "BOSCH" engine management system which used orange coolant.

the trick is to take off the upper hose and fill up the engine from there and then open the bleed screw and the cap and pour it in the bottle till all the air is gone from the bleed screw.
That might apply to RROJ's RR and not mine though.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you LRScott! That sounds like the secret that will save my engine the 02 from any damage. I will relay this to the mechanic when he does in case he is not aware already.

"the trick is to take off the upper hose and fill up the engine from there and then open the bleed screw and the cap and pour it in the bottle till all the air is gone from the bleed screw."

LRScott, what about lifting the front bumper 6-12 inches I guess to drain every drop out. Do you do this or heard of it working? I have heard of it and it makes perfect sense due to all the gullies and crevices antifreeze can hide in. I would like your opinion on the matter.
Thanks always!
RROJ

Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RROJ
LRScott, what about lifting the front bumper 6-12 inches I guess to drain every drop out. Do you do this or heard of it working? I have heard of it and it makes perfect sense due to all the gullies and crevices antifreeze can hide in. I would like your opinion on the matter.
Thanks always!
RROJ
The best way to clean out all of the old antifreeze is to do a fresh water flush of the engine after it is drained. Let it run for a while and then drain it and fill with the proper mixture.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Understood. Thanks Krazzz. Great profile of your 97! I have not seen that vibrant red in these parts.

Last edited by RROJ; 06-01-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks always!
The service manual calls for it, I didn't lift it because I didn't see a point. Coolant would go to the back of the block and not drain out. You can drain the whole block by removing a plug towards the rear that will supposedly remove 90% of it. I never did it that way. I just did what Krazzz said and stuck a garden hose in the top radiator hose until all the fluid was clear. And then filled it up with full strength anti-freeze until the color tint was right in line with the 50/50 mix. Closed the system up and filled the rest of it with 50/50 diluted anti-freeze.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Hmmm. OK. I can see flushing the system with the regular water until it it is all clear but then when its time to fill it with antifreeze is there any harm of filling it with just pure antifreeze and not the 50/50 mix?

Sorry for all the detailed questions. I have let my other cars just be handled by the mechanic, but with a Range Rover I don't want to do ANYTHING that could end up costing me the demise of my RR.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Pro Wrench

If you take it to a shop locally that deals with LRs they should be able to help you and do a good job. You will want to fill it with concentrated anti-freeze until the water coming out of the drain plug is of the same color as the 50/50 pre-dilluted mix. And YES it you will cause harm if you fill the system with pure anti-freeze. If you want the green stuff, just tell them you want the entire system flushed and replaced with the green inorganic coolant.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Rock Crawling

LRScott, Thanks for clarifying. I will tell them that I want the green coolant. They have done it before as other Rovers have been there. I just wanted to get all the details and educate them on anything members here might have to offer/add.
Many thanks!
RROJ

Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Overlanding

so all you people know who are reading this older thread... the ole green stuff when put in an engine that requires the orange stuff can eat through the gaskets faster... also so you know IT IS CORROSIVE TO ALUMINUM ENGINES I don't understand why people need to change stuff that isn't ment to be changed... it's the same price at autozone as the green stuff maybe 2 dollars more and made for your vehicle... also the GEMS calls for dexcool btw, don't know what manual you are reading.... no disrespect to anyone just callin shenanigans....

Last edited by Gasha; 11-29-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dex cool is an abomination

Quick Reply: Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?