General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The green stuff is made specifically for aluminum engines. I have been using it in my cars for years without any corrosion issues at all. Every GEMS rover I have encountered uses the green stuff and I don't know where in the manual it says use Dexcool on GEMS. It may say that in the RAVE manual but that manual kinda mixed both GEMS and BOSCH together which makes it confusing in some cases. My owners manual doesn't say anything about it. It just says use "non-phosphate corrosion inhibitors safe for use in an aluminum engines". In some cases you can use the blue coolant too. But it is generally more expensive. Just about all modern coolants are aluminum safe and you can therefore use w/e the hell coolant you want as long as you flush out the old kind. I just think it is kinda odd that from 1999 to 2002 RRs started having head gasket and block corrosion problems like crazy. The only thing I can seem to find that might be a contributing factor is, DEXCOOL.

If you want to do more research on this, there are plenty of other forums out there that argue about what the best coolant for use in a rover is. Some people say dexcool, others say the green coolant, some willl say just use peak. In all honesty as long as it says "safe for use in aluminum engines" which the green stuff does say on the back of it, then you can use w/e kind your heart desires. I've just found the green coolant to work better. I will say though, there is/was a massive lawsuit involving dexcool and GM owners because it destroyed many good engines. In my opinion and as MountainOx stated, dexcool is an abomination.

Last edited by LRScott; 11-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Get off the Dexcool, do a full flush along with your green or yellow coolant and a bottle of Water Wetter or Purple Ice and your troubles will be over.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long live the green stuff! For the folks in the green stuff corner thank you for clarifying and backing up your opinions with solid fact.
We should all benefit after all we are all owners and with that said we all want what is best for our rovers and our pockets!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all fairness, I should say our jaguar has had dexcool in it for years without any issues... It seems as though the older versions of dexcool caused problems and the newer dexcool is safer to use. However, being so scared of the stuff, I refuse to use it . I've found that bosch owners that live in warmer climates generally have less problems with head gaskets than ones who live in cold climates. I talked with one of my friends who has worked with GM for years. From what he said, people who live in cold climates subject the coolant to very extreme temperature fluctuations. The temperature fluctuations actually caused the molecular structure of the coolant to change. The changes made the coolant acidic and it eventually ate away at the head gaskets and the block.