General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?

Now that I have taken over ownership of my diamond in the rough I want to change the orange coolant for the green coolant. I thought I read or heard somewhere that the orange coolant was original LR coolant but that it had long term side effects doing harm to the coolant system and that the green stuff was just fine. I always have to check with experts before I start or take on a new project. Its nice to have the support and experience to rely on. Thanks for reading!
What your opinion? Orange or Green?

RROJ

Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Use the Green at 50/50 mix. Orange coolant sucks.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually you could have issues mixing the stuff.
but you can buy the dexcool at napa for a fraction of the price at the dealer.

its regular GM dexcool.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are huge debates on this subject. I am a huge fan of the green inorganic coolant. The green stuff does not last as long and needs to be changed every 2 years or so. The orange stuff "dexcool" will last longer but seems to be more corrosive. What really baffles me though, is that on Rovers that do not use dexcool, typically have their original head gaskets at well over 100k miles (mine has its original head gaskets). Whereas ones that do use it seem to blow their gaskets at 80 to 100k miles. I've read that it takes awhile for the dexcool to actually begin protecting the cooling system. Whereas the green stuff starts protecting immediately. Rovin4life is right, never mix different types of coolants, it spells disaster. I recently flushed my system out and can tell you it is a very complicated proceedure to properly bleed the system. The service manual's directions for this SUCK, especially for those of us who replaced a water pump. I've studied this for awhile and found that you need to fill the radiator and block up along with the reservoir. The service manual just says "make sure the bleeder hose is clear, fill the expansion tank, start the engine and top up if necessary". I've talked with many people that just used the service manual's instructions and found that almost all of their vehicles hit red line. Mine never did because I filled the block and radiator up. I can walk you through it if you would like, but just make sure the mechanic you have do it is informed about the correct proceedure. Otherwise you run the risk of slipping a liner and destroying your engine.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the green. I think it does a fine job. My belief is that the only reason the orange stuff exists is because it is more environmentally friendly. And...usually that means it doesn't work as well as the original.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not saying to mix both coolents. I said use the green at 1/2 water 1/2 coolent.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Dexcool was designed for aluminum block engines. Mixing dexcool with standard antifreeze will turn to sludge and trash your truck.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Both are ethelyne glycol based. Orange uses an organic acid to prevent corrosion. Lasts a long time. Green uses minerals such as borates or silicates to do the same, but only lasts a few years. If mixed, the organic acids will precipitate the minerals out, creating a sluge. The organic acids in orange will break down silicone seals, or a silicone based gasket. Takes a while, but it can create a mess. I use green, but if you're going to switch flush the system well.

Jack the front of the truck up about six to twelve inches before filling. Makes a big difference.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Acutually bleeding a d2 is easy.

the trick is to take off the upper hose and fill up the engine from there and then open the bleed screw and the cap and pour it in the bottle till all the air is gone from the bleed screw.

my bad wrong forum

a bosch range rover the easy way is to still pour coolant into the upper hose and let it take a while to bleed out.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I can walk you through it if you would like, but just make sure the mechanic you have do it is informed about the correct proceedure. Otherwise you run the risk of slipping a liner and destroying your engine. " by LRScott.

LRScott,
I would very much like to you to describe to me and all the other RR owners, in detail the correct procedure so I and they don't ruin our engines. One of our fellow members mentioned to "Jack the front of the truck up about six to twelve inches before filling. Makes a big difference. "

I believe I will switch to the pure green antifreeze NO 50/50 mix. Any well tested green antifreezes out there or are they all about the same? Once changed over to the green stuff it will be religiously changed every two years.

Q: "bosch range rover" or "BMW engine" Which do the Pegasus 38 2002 have?

Thank you to all who answered my questions concerning the right product (coolant) to put in my 2002 Range Rover HSE.

RROJ

Quick Reply: Best Coolant on 02 RR Orange stuff or the ole Green antifreeze?