General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issue

When I start my Rover in the a.m. i hear this noise coming from the hood... I open the hood and find that there is a buzzin sound coming from the accumulator and when I touch it I can feel a slight vibration. Every time the brake pedal is pressed all the way I can hear this sound coming from the accumulator even after it been on and driving for sometime? I have to make sure that I pump the brake about 4-5 times before putting in drivethe first time I drive itor else it does not brake well at all? Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Brake Issue

When the system finally stops with pressurizing, how many times can you step on the brake pedal before you hear the pump go on again?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling

It seems like everytime that I press the brake pedal down far enough I can hear it inside the vehicle... My brake pedal also seems hard to press... This is my first rover, but not sure if the brake pedal should be this hard...

Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Overlanding

It sounds like the accumulator needs replacement. I had the same issue. An easy fix but you have to make sure it is completly depressurized. Without starting the vehicle, step on the brake 15 or 20 times to be sure tha any pressure remaining has been released. Normally there is very high pressure aprox 120psi stored in it. The accumulator threads off and the new one threads on. It will self bleed once replaced. The same buzzing sound will happen again when you replace it. That is the system recharging the accumulator. You must be very careful when taking the old unit out. check for leaks around the threaded area after replacement. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Overlanding

Correction Thats 1200 psi

Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Another thing I noticed today was that when I had the keyON to the vehicle (with car not running) and was checking on my windshield washer pumps. During this time every 3-5 minutes I would here the accumulator buzz for about 5 sec. Thisended up happening about 4 times while I was working on the windshield pums. I put my hand over that little black ball (accumulator) and I would feelthe vibrationwhile it would buzz.This again was without pressing the brake pedal and with the vehicle key ON, but engine NOT running? Just wanted to add this little piece of info to see if you had another suggestion before I purchase that accumulator?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Overlanding

Yes the accumulator will not hold pressure internally, similar to a slow leak on a tire. The system sees the pressure drop and tells the pump to recharge the accumulator. The system is electrically driven so if your key is on and the pressure drops it will cycle attempting to maintain the needed pressure for power brake assist. Overnight, most or all of the pressure bleeds out hence the long recharge you have when first start. If your accumulator is functioning properly, you should be able to step on the brake 4 times, maybe more, before you hear the pump recharge the accumulator. Be sure when you change the accumulator to step on the brake 20 times (or more) before you change it out. Work safe.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I was looking at the rover.net troubleshooting page and was wondering what check valve is on the ABS system? Also I was wondering where this valve is located and if it could somehow be checked?