General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a RR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a RR?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tauhid and I reside in toronto, ontario. I joined the website for a reason and that is I am planning to buy a 2003/2004 Land Rover HSE. My other choices were the 2005 BMW X5, 2005 Lexus LX470, 2003/2004 Porsche Cayenne. Now, this is a serious concern for me, the snow over here. winter is going now, I am buying the ride very soon because I always drive highways especially to the US and Montreal. I am tired of my Accord getting stuck in snow and the soft grip it has on the roads. My other cars are in Bangladesh and yes I miss them. Please let me know if a 2004 Range Rover HSE which will be about CAD$ 35-45k with about 60,000 to 100,000 kilometres will be a good buy or not. I know Land Rover has its issue of having bad reliability but I am a car_freak and I take care of cars very well. So do, let me know. Its powerful, its off road capabilities are crazy and it is indeed a bling bling. As far as modifying it, well thats a case we can focus on later.

So your input will be well appreciate here.

Regards,
Tauhid

Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying a RR?

For all us on not familliar with metric and to help form better opinions, he's looking for a:

2004 Range with 40,000 to 60,000 miles, and in the $36,000 to $46,000 price range.

Can you really get an X5 or a Cayenne in that same price/mileage range? If so I might be more inclined to go with the Porsche...

Then again if you're looking for offroad capabilities, the Range Rover should be the only one in the running.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear

X5 is under 35k with a mileage like that. Cayennes the base models are around 40k. And I am looking for a car that wont have problems running on the snow. We have 10-20 cm snow in the winter and I drive downtown everyday for a 45 mins drive. I cant depend on the bus services since they are far from my home. The RR's gets way cheaper according to age and mileage compared to its competitors. Would you explain why so. I mean I know the RR 4.2 HSE costs around 120,000 CAD which is a lot. The prices were this high in those days too. Dont seem to get why such a price fall.

Also wanted to know, if anyone had problems of driving a Used Range Rover which had 40-60k miles on its metre. If you did, please share with me. Its an expensive set of wheels and I want to make a good decision.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: auto_freak
The RR's gets way cheaper according to age and mileage compared to its competitors. Would you explain why so. I mean I know the RR 4.2 HSE costs around 120,000 CAD which is a lot. The prices were this high in those days too. Dont seem to get why such a price fall.
I've made the statement before and I'll make it again ....supply and demand. The supply ofolder Rovers with lots of miles/kilometers outweighs the demand. That's why the price drops quickly. My take on it is the people who can afford brand new Range Rovers most likely make good money, damn good money. They drive them until 60K miles when the warranty expires and then they dump them tocurb b/c they are high maintenance vehicles thatare very expensive to work on and as they get older, just like any vehicle, they start breaking down. Because of Land Rover's historical reliability issues, you will find fewer and fewer people who want to spend $30K - $40K on a 3-4 year old truck with 60K miles ...why would they when they know that just around the corner, they're going to have to spend thousands in maintenance issues, most likely. There are always exceptions to the rule so there may be a Rover here and there that needs nothing at well over 100K miles but in general, that is probably not the case.

I suggest you really think hard about your next vehicle purchase and do your research. If you truly want a vehicle to power through snow and foul weather and plan to use it what its worth, this truck will dothat easily. I would think any of the choices you mentioned in your first post would do fine in the snow since they all have higher clearance than a typical car + 4 wheel drive. If you went w/ the Cayenne, you might think about some snow tires, though. Those likely come stock with some sort of Z rated performance tire that probably sucks in the snow.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling

I just bought my 04 RR HSE with 48k miles for $31k USD. From all the horror stories, I will be buying the extanded warranty from the Dealership I bought it from. I just have to negotiate on the warranty. Hopefully they'll give it to me for less then $4K which will be well worth it.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Smart man, very smart. An extended warranty will be worth every penny. That is money well spent!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I REALLY need to get that extended warranty asap. Some of my pixels just died from my instrument panel. [:@]Not that big of a deal, but it's bugging the hell out ofme.