General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C works, but the manual light is all lit up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C works, but the manual light is all lit up!

Where is gives the temperature reading it shows for the first time in all the years I have owned this RR a strange book like figure on the display. Manual says take it in for service. What are the reasons why this light would go on? Still blows cold not ice cold air, but in all fairness the temperatures were over 100 degrees when this light when on and it has not gone off telling me I think that a tech has to reset the code. Do these RR's tell you that your freon or equivalent is getting on the low side? I hope that is all that it is.

Any help with this question/issue would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That book light is sensitive to a lot of things. Mine comes on like clock work after driving it a few miles, but then goes out after you shut the engine off and re-start. I'm almost positive mine is the cabin temp sensor. I'll probably try and get it fixed this winter, because that is when the system acts weird. During the summer, I just keep it on LO and everything works the way I want it. Reasons it can come on are, temp sensor(s) (inside, outside, or heater matrix sensor), blend motor failure, low refrigerant, malfunctioning clutch or pressure switch. Or maybe your RR is in a bad mood... lol. I would attempt a battery reset, see if it goes away. If it does go out, it might have been a fluke, if it stays on, then there is a malfunction occurring that will need attention.

To test the system: Start the engine (preferably after it has warmed up), set your a/c fan to its lowest setting. Select a/c off and set your temperature on both sides to the highest possible setting (HI). You should be able to hear the blend motors moving. Once they have stopped, feel the air. If the air is hot out of all the vents, everything is normal. Now push the recirculate button. You should hear that blend motor move as well, and the sound of the air coming out of the vents will change a tad. Now set both temps to their lowest setting (LO). You should here the blend motors move again. Once they stop, the air coming out of the vents should now be cold.

Conduct this test first, if it does everything it should, then that rules out quite a bit. It leaves only the temp sensors, and possibly low refrigerant.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C--Key Fob question

LRScott good to hear from you! I was driving along the highway and pulled over to fill up. Turned off the RR to pop open the door for the gas attendant then restarted the RR. Temp read 96 degrees when I turned it off then it jumped to 100 degrees when I turned it back on and it felt like the blower blew at TURBO speeds like it once did and the "book/manual light" was not illuminated. So the family and I are thrilled to have it working again. If it ever acts up again I will certainly follow your instructions. These RR's sure can be moody.
Many thanks for the rapid response.

P.S. I put out a post/thread about replacing my key fob. I got some suggestions that I really did not understand. I see out there that they do sell the key fob and suggest to switch out the memory card, but it would still have a blank key. How do you get around paying the dealership? I just want to replace the non working key fob and have it with a working key. Any suggestions.
P.S II Very, very nice pictures you put up. I'm still have trouble up loading my vehicles on the site.