General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Range Rover experts for your opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Range Rover experts for your opinions!!

I'm not very experienced with cars and I need to get some expert advice really.

I'm looking at getting a Range Rover Sport. We're considering either the 07 TDV6, it's got enough power, etc for us, but we've found for a similar price slightly older versions of the V8 petrol and even a Supercharged version.
In my basic logic, getting a better car for the same money makes sense. But I've had some advice from people who suggest the following:
(a) A diesel engine will last longer and have a better resale value than the petrol versions
(b) The running costs of the petrol versions will be much higher
(c) Someone suggested a LPG conversion of the petrol versions to combat the additional costs.

Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(a) Diesel engines do generally have better resell values. I wouldn't say it makes a huge difference with Rover's, seeing as they depreciate quickly to begin with. As for the diesel having a longer life... diesel and petrol engines, in automobiles, generally have about the same lifespan when properly maintained.

(b/c) lpg is cheaper in the long run. I think lpg is generally about half the price of petrol (i'd compare it wherever you live) but the conversion isn't cheap and unless you're planning on driving it for quite a while it may not be worth it. Crunch the numbers and see what you come up with.

Keep in mind a S/C gets worse gas mileage. Personally, since it's an option where you live, i'd get a lpg conversion if you plan on keeping it long. Otherwise, since they're around the same price, i'd say go for the newer TDV6.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Let us know which one you decide on!

Regards