General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant coming from transmission!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant coming from transmission!?

I had noticed the coolant getting a few centimeters low after about a week or so in the resivour and had no idea where it was leaking out. The engine temp is fine and it runs smoother than most vehicles that are 10 years newer than it is. I figured maybe it was a cracked block or something and possibly a head gasket but, to my astonishment I found coolant dripping out of the front of the bell housing on the transmission when I parked the vehicle in the drive way while running! just a drip or so every 30 seconds... but, could coolant be leaking into the transmission!!!!??? I would like to repair this myself and was wondering what it was, I suspect a leaking inter cooler and it looks like a pain in the A$$ to repair. I'd greatly appreciate the input and thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Don't mean to reply to myself but, I am sure a few of you on here have raised your eyebrow when you saw this post. It is not coming from the transmission THANK GOD! It is dripping down the LH side of the engine and down the oil pan and then onto the transmission. I think it is the coolant drain plug at the bottom of the block that might need to be tightened. Or it is possibly coming out of one of the cylinder banks. PLEASE BE THE PLUG! I have not had time to investigate and am not 100% sure where it is coming from. But I intend to find out tomorrow and I'll keep you all posted for those who care.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the exact same thing. I think it is a leaking lower intake manifold gasket. I have not changed it yet because I really want to see the coolant leaking out before I tear it apart.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Pro Wrench

For whatever reason, mine stopped just as randomly as it started. It seemed to do it after I would top the resivour off to the full line, almost as if it thinks I over filled it, so its leaking out what it doesn't need and then stops.... perhaps the weirdest thing that has yet to happen, unless you count the cruise control being disengaged after pushing one of the HVAC buttons, that one made me laugh (thankfully it only did it once).

Old 04-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'll have to try that. Mine never leaked when I bought it. It just started all of the sudden a month later. I always keep it topped off to the full line. I'll let it get a little low and see if it stops. Sure beats changing the intake gasket!!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm beginning to think its a blown gasket cause its starting to get hot and the thermostat was replaced not to long ago, so I am most likely getting a correct reading. It stays right in the middle while driving but, when I stop at a light the needle moves pretty far over to the "H". It is not in the red zone yet but, it was only 82 F outside today(with the A/C off cause it needs to be recharged, and I am tired of waiting so I am getting it done tomorrow) and I can't imagine what it will do when its 95 and 100 .