General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, i dont think there is any leaking from the head gaskets, when i removed the plastic shield it would be visible, and usually if its leaking from a head gasket it gets messy, not a drip. im dropping it off at my personal mechanic tommarow, hopefully something simple, the car runs awesome, but has this silly problem, so im not to worried as long as its not running hot you know? anyways, ill chime in tommarow and let you know, and to answer your question, yes there is a plastic bolt on top the reservoir next to the cap to bleed the system.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Drifting

hey, i took it too the local shop who ended up just telling me "i cant work on that, that things a pain in the ***, im not touching it your better off just going to the dealer." anyways, got home and took a second look, took th engine cover off and sourced the problem actually, now i say source as in i know where its coming from, not the exact location because th engine was too hot. anyways, its right behind the head/engine block, anyone ever have to replace anything back here? ii also snagged some pics for reference.

also, what is that stuff wrappd around those hoses? it seems like some thermal protectant/heat shield, but im not sure, the sound is coming from inside, or right behind that, as wel as the leak.

also, if it were to be a head gasket, how much does the land rover dealership charge for that, i would only imagine 2000 plus, or are the intake gaskets known to go in these because i know thats located back there, and thats hella work as well!!!!!n thanks for the help so far, check the pics!!

Attached Thumbnails coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....-img_0193-1.jpg   coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

theres a coolant outlet there that i have seen go bad and leak. if its spraying up then look at this more, if its just leaking down, my money is on the galley plate seal (under the intake manifold. there is also a head to head coolant manifold back there... take the fresh air duct off, the big thing held in by two 13s at the firewall, a nut behind the brake lines out of the abs unit, and another next to the jump start post. and grab a flashlight when its cold and take a look. itll be easier if you lower the car all the way down before you climb up there

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Drifting

well, i took the plunge and just decided to source the problem myself. started it up, let it run for 2 minutes to get hot, took a mirror and saw where it was leaking from, not a bad leak, but a small steady drip/stream enough to dry up the coolant. it was the intak heater hose adapter, the rubber one with the permanent band, and then a hose clamp at the top aswell. there was a small leak, the part ended up costing 10.75 from the local range dealership, how lucky was that?????!!!!! anyways, thnks for the help, im putting the part on in the morning, an hopefully all goes well, ill keep u updated.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by yukonridin23
well, i took the plunge and just decided to source the problem myself. started it up, let it run for 2 minutes to get hot, took a mirror and saw where it was leaking from, not a bad leak, but a small steady drip/stream enough to dry up the coolant. it was the intak heater hose adapter, the rubber one with the permanent band, and then a hose clamp at the top aswell. there was a small leak, the part ended up costing 10.75 from the local range dealership, how lucky was that?????!!!!! anyways, thnks for the help, im putting the part on in the morning, an hopefully all goes well, ill keep u updated.

Ahh, same problem I had. Glad it didnt cost you too much. Good luch with the install.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Drifting

yea, luckily for me, i have 2 land rover dealerships within 10 miles from my house, so i can atleast go to either or, and im more likely to find the part i need. this must be a common problem or something, because both stores had these parts in stock, which to me seemed a little weird seeing as its such a random part, or do most land rover dealerships keep many of the parts for these trucks in stock?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Make it easy on us, what year and model, can make a difference.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Make it easy on us, what year and model, can make a difference.
i thought i made it easy enough, the title said it all..........

anyways, besides the point, everything worked out great, no hiss, no leak, nothing anymore, bout to head down to the auto store to give it a full detail, anyways, thanks for the help guys, it really meant alot, and hopefully this thread can help someone else that has the same problem in the future.