General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM
val
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAS fault

I have a 1999 Range Rover and the first time i was worried about my EAS was went i went to a tire station to change my tires a month ago. When they lifted the frontpassenger sideof my rover, it suddenly lost a large amount of air, so loud that you can hear. when th mechanic put my vehicle down the front pasenger corner was all the way down. On the way home it fixed by itself. 3 days ago when i was driving home suddenly EAS faul appeared and my front suspensio went down. the rear suspension was okay until the next daywhen it went down. now im riding like im on a bronco. Can anyone help me find out what to do. And is is safe to drive without air suspension, because thats the only car i hAVE right now.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EAS fault

It is not safe to drive on the bumpstops. When they lifted it, the front airbag(s) slipped off of the upper cup, this is not fatal and is
very common. If it was not set back up correctly, then it could have slipped off again while driving causing a large pressure loss. The ECU will see this a failure and put the system in default and will not operate the air suspension. Take it to the dealer or a shop that
specializes in Land Rovers or you could save tons of money(now and later)and go to Arnott Industries to get the coil spring conversion kit and never have to worry again.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
val
Drifting

i let one guy to look at my car he saying i need eas compressor and front shock what u think

Old 12-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling

First, it really isn't safe to be driving on the bump stops. Essentially you have no suspension when the EAS is out of order.

I wouldn't say go springs on the Rover yet.

Had you noticed the vehicle dropping to the bump stops overnight? Have you checked your airbags conditions? If they haven't been replaced it's very likely the bags are shot considering the age of the vehicle. Shocks are probably the same but shouldn't be causing your EAS problems.
You may or may not need a new compressor... try rangerovers.net for the procedures to test the compressor.

EAS fault messages rarely just "pop up" without neglect to EAS warning signs.

As for why it would happen when the mechanic lifted it... the airbags fold over themselves when not in the highest height mode. Just how they're designed. It's possible and i'd say likely that when the mechanic lifted the vehicle the fold came undone and (provided your bags are in bad shape) air gushed out of the cracked bag (which would have been leaking air- although leaking slower since it normally has the folded portion of the bag semi-sealing the air in). Check the condition around the base of the bags. Rangerovers.net has good insturctions on troubleshooting the EAS

Best wishes and let us know what you discover and/or decide!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go on line and pick up a buddy box to reset the EAS code, and there is something called a mars system (see my post on the EAS fault code) my issue was a compressor, and I do have leaky air bags so I know what you are going through. I still like my air suspension. Others hate theirs so much they opt for springs. You should choose what is best for you.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I only suggested not replacing with coils until you determine the extent of the EAS fault. It's not always true that you'll save money going with coils. Air bags are pretty cheap now and if the compressor and other components are not shot then it can be cheaper to keep the EAS.

You can also download Storey Wilson's EAS software (search rangerovers.net forums for the link) to reset the fault and/or de-pressurize the system for working on it... bit cheaper then the buddy box.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

I bought my '01 Range HSE last year. I got an EAS fault message a few months ago, and it is absolutly killing me to see my ride sitting on its' rearend. I bought new bellows, hoping to replace the old ones, however, I fear that the problem may be worse than that. Can anybody give help me! I really love having EAS, and would not like to go to springs if I don't have to. I am more specifically looking to get instructions on how to do it myself. I'm pretty handy with tools, and know enough to know that this is way oaver my area of ezpertise. Many thanx for anyone who can help me. Please email me at my work email manuel.pineda@usmc.milas I check it daily. Thanx again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

'nolo
2001 Range Rover HSE

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Sure... here's the link for RAVE which pretty much describes every procedure you'll ever perform on a Rover.
RAVE.

I'm not sure how exactly to replace just the bellows as i've only used whole airspring assemblies.
This might help..
Bellow Replacement