General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you sure that the lines are all hooked up correctly? I'm pretty sure the system works its way around the suspension in sequence when leveling so if it doesn't get the response it expected it will shut down. Have you downloaded the EAS unlock suite? That can help you diagnose any sensor issues.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
You are gonna need a display to see what is going on. No test equipment no go. you could be seeing odd issues with door latches or other stuff. Whatever it is you have to see what is going on. You have to ascertain what the computer is seeing to realize what it is doing. You can only see this on a display, a full screen display. Trust me. Hawkeye wouldn't really work on something like this.
i've been using the EAS buddy from RSW solutions to read and clear faults. it hasn't been giving me any faults at all.

but perhaps the suite would help out, i haven't tried this method yet. i'll just need to buy a cable.

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Are you sure that the lines are all hooked up correctly? I'm pretty sure the system works its way around the suspension in sequence when leveling so if it doesn't get the response it expected it will shut down. Have you downloaded the EAS unlock suite? That can help you diagnose any sensor issues.
pretty sure the lines are correct. i have all new o-rings and collets. i checked and double checked that all lines were seated properly and tested with soapy water for any leaks, which it has none after the rebuild. the only leak i was able to find with the soapy water was from solenoid #4 and it was very minor.

i think tomorrow i may pull out the valve block and start over from square 1 on the rebuild to see if i missed something or if the valves aren't correct. but something tells me that this isn't the problem. but it seems like a logical place to start since before the rebuild it was able to raise and level properly. unless my EAS ECU is junk.

*edit* i've been searching for a good diagram of the valve block and haven't found a whole lot and have came across a lot of broken links. anyone have one?

Last edited by PKG Vitesse; 10-18-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
i have, thats the guide that i used.

i removed my valve block to double check everything and i'm not finding any errors with my rebuild. i have no pinched any o-rings, all the valves are in the correct position, the NRVs are in the proper positions as well.

i reinstalled the block and still have the same problem.

with the height selector at normal height this is what i have:

Name:  2012-10-19_15-34-23_573.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  175.0 KB
Name:  2012-10-19_15-34-36_744.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  169.7 KB

right rear bag is on off road height, left rear is on normal.

front right is either on highway or no air at all (hard to tell if its just being raised from the rear being so high)

front left has no air at all.

vehicle will not self level and the height selector does not change height at all. also, the light is blinking as if there is not enough air in the system. this was after trying to fill the system for over 15 minutes. i stopped the process in risk of burning up the compressor.

any thoughts? maybe my system needs calibrated?

i have the EAS unlock suite but until my cable comes in, i can't see what its doing on the monitor or calibrate. however, the EAS is not giving any fault codes and the EAS buddy is clear. my valve block is air tight and shows no signs of leaks with the soapy water and doesn't make any hissing noises. all 4 bags held air fine in pervious weeks aside from a slow leak in the rear.

Last edited by PKG Vitesse; 10-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

possible issue with the compressor itself not putting out enough. if you put a hose to the air line that feeds the system and it goes up normally then its the compressor is screwed up.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
possible issue with the compressor itself not putting out enough. if you put a hose to the air line that feeds the system and it goes up normally then its the compressor is screwed up.
but shouldn't it level itself out?

that doesnt seem to make sense. if the height selector is set at normal, i don't understand why the right rear would continue to inflate to off road mode.

i've also checked for continuity between the fuse box and the EAS ECU to see perhaps if i have some faulty wiring thats not allowing the compressor to turn on like its suppose to. the wiring checks out and is good...the ECU isn't telling the compressor to turn on.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Overlanding

When the car raises, it always lifts the rear before the front to avoid scaring oncoming traffic. Once the rear height sensors get in range, the front starts to pump up and keeps going until the front height sensors reach target.

So... if the two bottom solenoid caps were accidentally swapped (Rear Right and Front Left) it is not hard to see what will happen... the rear will lift before the front because of weight distribution, may get to target height, and when the front tries to lift the rear right will lift more.

I have done it myself and got several emails from people who have done the same... hence why I updated the valve block diagram at EAS Valve Block Rebuild Guide « PaulP38A.com to show wiring to each solenoid cap.
Enlarged view at http://hardrange.com/downloads/manua...Block-v1.5.pdf

There is a useful document on operation and troubleshooting of the EAS at P38 EAS Service Bulletins

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

BTW: PKG, you have a VZ Monaro? I'm impressed. I have a VZ Crewman Ute but is only the V6 not the thumping V8

Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by PaulP38A
When the car raises, it always lifts the rear before the front to avoid scaring oncoming traffic. Once the rear height sensors get in range, the front starts to pump up and keeps going until the front height sensors reach target.

So... if the two bottom solenoid caps were accidentally swapped (Rear Right and Front Left) it is not hard to see what will happen... the rear will lift before the front because of weight distribution, may get to target height, and when the front tries to lift the rear right will lift more.

I have done it myself and got several emails from people who have done the same... hence why I updated the valve block diagram at EAS Valve Block Rebuild Guide « PaulP38A.com to show wiring to each solenoid cap.

There is a useful document on operation and troubleshooting of the EAS at P38 EAS Service Bulletins

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

BTW: PKG, you have a VZ Monaro? I'm impressed. I have a VZ Crewman Ute but is only the V6 not the thumping V8
thanks paul, i'll try this tomorrow. i was pretty dead sure i got the caps correct but looking at your diagram more carefully that does make sense. i will try switching those around to see if that cures the problem that i'm having. i hope that does it, because i'm really excited that although my compressor issue isn't solved, the system has been holding air now for 5 days and hasn't lost any pressure what so ever.

and yes, i have a VZ monaro. i adore it, and i'm a huge holden fan. it gets a lot of comments, questions and stares here in the US...no one knows what holden is here. i would love to get my hands on a ute!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by PaulP38A

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul.

so paul, i took your advice to try to swap the bases around on the bottom.

before doing so, i carefully looked at the wiring diagram for all of the bases. each and every one of them is in the correct position and their wiring matches up with where they need to be on the plug.

but just to try, i decided to swap the two bottom bases for the rear right and front left anyway, and i ended up with it doing the same problem, only in reverse.

Name:  2012-10-24_12-25-16_629.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  174.9 KB
Name:  2012-10-24_12-25-31_756.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  187.8 KB

i don't get it.

i really don't get it.

i've went over this valve block like no other, i'm not finding ANY problems with my work, where the lines are, solenoids, nothing.

this almost certainly has to be a control issue. between this problem + the compressor not turning on?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check for corrosion in the height sensors and broken height sensors themselves.

Quick Reply: EAS question