General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive oil consuption

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive oil consuption

I posted a thread about 8 months ago about our 2005 RR HSE that consumed a lot of oil. this post is a follow up in case others have the problem. we bought the vehicle new about 2 years ago and had no real problems until at 11,000 miles a warning light came on and said not to drive the car, my wife was near the dealer so stopped by and it was 4 and 1/2 quarts low on oil. no leaks seen. some one said maybe they didn't put the predelivery oil in it before we bought it. "we aren't infalable" said the sales person. to make a long story short the vehicle had other episodes of low oil and consumed 12 and 1/2 quarts of oil in 27,000 miles. we thought this was too much. the dealer looked for the problem multiple times but found none. it did not burn oil that we could see. everyone we talked to said this was not normal ( including RR mechanics). The dealer finally said there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. We tried to take it to another dealer for another opinion and the regional LR higher up called the other dealer and said no services would be paid for as all the warranty work on this problem had been done. We were concerned that this excessive oil consumption could portend to expensive engine work that may occur after the warranty was over but Land Rover had slammed the door in our faces. My wife started a fairly lengthy process and sat through a 6 hour meeting with the lemon law commision and the vehicle was determined to be a lemon. The main issue being that the dealer had had at least three attempts to fix the problem and did not. the problem affects the resale value of the vehicle. We are not the kind of people who manipulate the system or are trying to get something for nothing. We just wanted LR to make it right and they would not. 2 experienced range rover mechanics said that before Ford owned RR the company would do what it took to make their customers happy. we just handed over the lemon today with 39,000 miles on it. nothing has happened to the engine and it has run fine. maybe it will never have a problem and someone in Africa ( I hear this is where the lemons go) will get a good RR at a good price but who knows.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: excessive oil consuption

WOW... That's discouraging... Also, I had no idea Ford owned Land Rover.