General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting hot

my 92 rover is getting hot on the freeway. drives fine in town. replaced the thermostat an flushed the cooling system twice. i hava 50/50 mix anti freeze.

could my water pump impeller be bad? has anyone had this problem?

also could plugged up cats also possibly cause it to get hot. the rovers low end is great. but on the top end it seems like its getting held back. also my exaust very smelly. stinks like rotten eggs.

any ideas.

also the head gaskets are good. cooling system pressuer tests fine an so do the cylinders.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Rock Crawling

I believe the rotton egg smell points to the catalytic converters but I doubt that would cause it to run hot. I also doubt it is the water pump. Before you start replacing things make sure that it is actually running hot. I replaced lots of cooling system parts on mine before I realized my "overheating" problem was actually a bad ground. Check your grounds. Check the connection at the sensor too. If it is really overheating, check to make sure you filled the coolant correctly and have no air pockets. Also check your viscous fan clutch and for debris in the radiator fins. Pays to check the less expensive stuff first. Hope that helps.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
I believe the rotton egg smell points to the catalytic converters but I doubt that would cause it to run hot. I also doubt it is the water pump. Before you start replacing things make sure that it is actually running hot. I replaced lots of cooling system parts on mine before I realized my "overheating" problem was actually a bad ground. Check your grounds. Check the connection at the sensor too. If it is really overheating, check to make sure you filled the coolant correctly and have no air pockets. Also check your viscous fan clutch and for debris in the radiator fins. Pays to check the less expensive stuff first. Hope that helps.
i will check the grounds. every thing else is in order. the electric fans click on. an i cycled the cooling system an topped it up. but i know it has been getting rather hot.