General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help RR 98SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help RR 98SE

I am a new P38 owner (at least its new to me), the previous owner gave me 2 keys/remotes 1 recently just stopped working I change the batery's but the ligh wont come on when depressed and the other isnt programmed to the vehicle. Does anyone know how to program a remote?

Also the check engine light is on I have had the codes read and did some research on them they are
[align=center]

P0116

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Falling Temp Fault [/align][align=center]

P0125

Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Warm Up Fault [/align]
and
[align=center]

P0118

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor High Out of Range Fault [/align]assumably there is an engine coolant issue, I dont know how to reset the light on this vehicle to confirm that there is an issue can I get a little direction from you fine people?!?!?

Thanks....

rqchildress@bellsouth.net

Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Help RR 98SE

My first guess for the year would be that all 3 codes are caused by the 116 code and I would believe that replacing the sensor should allow the other two codes to be cleared.
Let me know what happens,
Mike

Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Mudding

To program the remote, make sure the alarm is not set, and the doors are unlocked, press the lock button on the remote, and then quickly insert the key into the door lock on the drivers door and turn it to the lock position. It should work, that's exactly what I did for my remote

Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Disco Mike for the help but I am awaiting a repair manual to be mailed to me, where would I find the sensor and exactly what is it called, also when it is replaced will the check engine light go out on its on?

Also big thanks for a response from esaycho..
I tried programming it but it didnt work. is there another way to try?

Thanks gents, If I could get this done the wife will be really happy!!!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Drifting

I just disconnected my battery while working on my laundry list of issues, and upon reconnecting I hit the buttons on the remote (both of them, one at a time), and then manually locked and unlocked the door and it worked. If that doesn't do it, just keep on playing. On both my Range Rover and my Jaguar I have had to deal with this, and I always end up playing with the remotes and keys and such until it works, and eventually I stumble upon the correct solution.

Best of luck, and I would agree you probably want to replace your coolant temp sensor.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:19 PM
7th Gear

I will try the battery trick when the wife gets back from shopping!!! Do you know where I can find the coolant temp sensor? I've got no idea of where the thing sits??

Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coolant temp sensor is on the intake manifold-- front--

There are two sensors, one for the temp gage, and the second for the computer. The one you need to replace has a "bullet" type connector (as opposed to the other with a conventional spade connector).

regards,
Geoman

www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
7th Gear
Default RE: Help RR 98SE/Check engine light still on

Thanks for your help gang!!!. I finally got the sensor in changed itand it runs better and it even starts up better when its warm but the check engine light is still on... Is there a way for me to deactivate it on my own?? I tried removing the battery cables all that did was give me the opportunity to drive for a few weeks without my radio until I called the dealer and they gave me the code. Also I have tried almost every trick in the book to get my remote programmed to the truck.. Any help.... Thanks

rc

Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help RR 98SE/Check engine light still on

The on-board computer stores fault codes, and depending on which combination of codes resulted from sensors having a "out of range" condition --- the CEL will continue to stay on until the vehicle is connected to a Autologic,RovaComm, or TestBook scanner. Only the Dealers and well equipped independent Land Rover repair shops have this scanner. A OBDII scanner --ascommonly found -- only reads and clears basic fault codes.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com