General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does one secure the steering column to eliminate play in the steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does one secure the steering column to eliminate play in the steering?

The steering column connects to a shaft that comes up from the steering pump. Where the two shafts meet there is some play in my Range Rover. What can I do to eliminate the play? Today I replaced one of the tie rods that connected to my pitman arm in order to eliminate play. What can I do to eliminate the play where both shafts meet? Is there something in the aftermarket that can secure these two shafts? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: How does one secure the steering column to eliminate play in the steering?

steering gear box ok? I don't know of any after market products for that. You may want to check the balance, and alignment, and tire pressure. as well as the ball joints. Just thoughts. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 08-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: How does one secure the steering column to eliminate play in the steering?

Steering gear box is new. It is ok. It is where the two shafts meet with that rubber washer stuck between the shafts. It is there that I see some looseness. It isn't firm. I was told to replace the rubber insert. I don't know where I could pick one up. Would that really help? I don't see how?