General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independent mechanics?

I live in Nashville, TN. I was curious if there are any independent (notable) mechanics in this area for my 97 4.6 RR. I'm sure this post would be beneficial for any member here in any city. I used to take mine to a good reputable shop but the owners parted ways and the shop soon followed. The dealer (to me) are crooks and do not have my best interest @ heart. I'm sure I share this sentiment w/ many other members here also.
So if any of you know a good mechanic, that is not a crook, here in the Nashville area, please post.For the bigger picture, if someone knows a good mechanic in any other city; post it, to help others.

Thank you

Old 09-05-2007, 02:03 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Independent mechanics?

I know what you mean about dealerships. We are an independent that only works on import vehicles. I HAD to take a Rover to the dealer for something that only the dealercould do because they try to monopolize the industry by making tools thatONLY the dealer has access to.They didn't know that I was somewhat more mechanically inclined than most females and they tried to sell me$1000 worth of parts when I could rebuild what I needed to with only $200 worth of parts. That kind of put a bad taste in my mouth for dealers. But,they do have techs that specialize and are well trained...like the one that blogs onoccasion that soundsvery knowledgeable on Rovers...that's the plus side. Anyway, if you ever make it up to Ocean City Maryland...look us up...O.C. Import Service and recently purchased ...Gateway Motors. gatewaymotorsoc.com and www.ocimportservice.com
Cheers, Tina

Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Drifting

That's what we need on here. A group or list of accredited techs that have a good honest rep of not ripping people off. I used to own my own business and believe there is alot more money to be made long term than short, not to mention the best advertisement of; word of mouth. I am in Nashville and currently looking for such dealer. If anyone knows of such in this area please let me know (and post all other cities also)

Old 09-09-2007, 03:33 PM

all though i do understand what you mean about the dealer, i would just like to say that were not all crooks. i myself am a certified mercedes-benz technician in denver, and i personally never sell anything that a car doesnt need, and i am very honest when customers ask me questions, putting things in terms of whether i would do this on my own vehicle.

yeah, labor rates at the dealer suck, and the parts cost a lot more, but you are getting work and advice from the top factory trained and certified techs, and there is quite a difference between o.e. genuine parts and what you get at auto zone, in my opinion its worth the extra money.

just wanted to let you all know that not everyone at the dealer is crooked.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Well, how about an honest mechanic is a rareity. I know there has to be "honest" mechanics somewhere but they are def few and far between. You being one of the good guys..., does the dealership "push" for upsale work and invoices?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM

as for me and my writer, no, but i can make that statement for everyone in the shop.

i didnt mean to be inflammatory or offensive, independents certainly have their place, and there are a lot of good independent techs out there, i personally worked in an independent shop for several years before i signed on with mercedes, i just dont want everybody out there thinking that all dealer techs are crooks.