General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing GM Alum 215V8 Block into Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing GM Alum 215V8 Block into Classic

I have a 1994 Classic with a blown motor. I picked up a General Motors Aluminum 215cc V8 (carb Model) for next to nothing. I want to know if it is a viable swap into my rover. I understand the block is the same, but I expect some issues with attaching accessories (power steering, a/c, etc). Some issues I note are that the Older GM motor:

1) The older GM motor has a mechanical fuel pump which would interfere with accessor mount. I would expect that the mechanical pump can be removed and plate put over the hole (utilizing the external electric fuel pump)?

2) On the older GM motor the oil pump is different and does not have hook ups for hearter core. I expect that an external oil cooler would solve this problem?

3) There are not any mounting holes on the older GM motor's heads, so I could swap the heads from my old Rover motor. Will there be an issue with the valve train or cam shaft? Can I retain the new camshaft recently installed in the carberated GM Motor? Should I swap out the old Rover Camshaft (or get a new Rover Cam shaft with the Rover Profile).

4) This is a carberated GM Motor, so I need to swap the intake manifolds to utilize the fuel injection.

5) Any other issues you can think of? Can this be done?

I would appreciate any suggestions, warnings, or advice before I get too deep into this. Am I trying some thing too difficult or impossible?

GM Alum V8 ID# H9186 (Id number seems too short? Took off of the passenger side of the block in front of the head)

Thank you in advance for any insight

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been so many changes over the years, it won't work, besides Federal law as well as most state law prohibit installing and old less efficient engine into a licenced vehicle.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to convert the old block to work with the Rover parts would very, very difficult. Again like Disco Mike said about the laws. If the vehicle was never going to be liscensed and only off road then it those laws would not matter. You should be able to find a used engine for decent deal if you are willing to either drive to it or have it shipped.