General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Advice on purchasing 2004 RR

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Advice on purchasing 2004 RR

Hello,
I'm a bit new to Range Rovers but was presented an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Range Rover HSE with what I consider high mileage of 145k (kilometers, i'm in canada)
The vehicle has been maintained well at the dealership it was purchased, and the 2nd owner put new rubber on and 20's with the supercharged rims and a running boards etc.

I'm haggling a bit on the price but it will be around $31-33 (canadian)

my concern is the mileage, i've never had a car or truck with more than 75k on it. So I thought I would ask around if I should be concerned and what you guys thought if it was a fair price. I've been searching though canada and the prices vary so much. I felt a bit better when I heard it was a BMW engine as i have many friends with a similar engine with 200k or more with minor issues.

I welcome as much feedback as possible as I have to let him know by Tuesday.

Thanks again.

Blake.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Looking for Advice on purchasing 2004 RR

Hi Blake,

Based on my conversions of kms to miles and Canadian dollars to US dollars, I would say that you are not getting a good deal from this person that wants you to make a commitment w/ them byTuesday. My first advice ...never get cornered into buying a vehicle in a short amount time, especially one that you know very little about. That can be dangerous and very expensive. My advice would be to spend some time on this site and read what the owners are posting about their Range Rovers. You will then be able to make an informed decision on whether or notto buy one of these vehicles.

Sounds like the truck has about 91,000 miles and if you take the midpoint of your 31-33 Can. dollars price that this person wants (32,000), that comes it $31,784 in US dollars. Based on values set by Kelly Blue Book in the states here, those miles, that model year, and the add ons you mentioned would fetch a price of $29,250 ($29,468 Can.). And that's considering the truck is in good condition. I don't know the dependability of the 2004s but Range Rovers in general (old ones and new ones) are not the most reliable vehicles and based on the mileage/kms this one has, it's most likely long past its warranty (unless it has an extended warranty) so this person could be quickly dumping their problem onto you.

If you are asking the opinion of the community on this forum, my personal one would be to pass this one up. If you're really interested in RRs, do lots of research first and shop around. With the economy the way it is, you might be able to find one with far less miles/kms on it for a similar price. And as far as that BMW engine you've heard about, my opinion is that it's not all that great ..it's a high maintenance engine with less output that others in its class. In 2006, Range Rover installed the 4.4 liter Jaguar engine in the HSE and the 4.2 liter, 400 hp engine the RR supercharged that are bothsuppose to be much better. If you do choose to purchase this one anyway, I would make sure the person has done the scheduled maintenance at minimum and receipts showing the work, dates, and miles/kms. would be nice. It sounds like it's mostly highway kms. so you might be able to get some more good life out of it. Be advised that out-of-pocket repairs on these trucksare very expensive.

Hopefully, others will chime in to give you some reliability advice on that model year. Good luck.

Pads Fan

Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the in depth reply.
There is no pressure, I just like to move on things and didn't want to make people wait.
I agree, upon further review, i would much rather get an 05 or 06. Unfortunately that price leap is too much for me.
I'm now looking at some 04 Discovery SE.

Thanks again,

Blake.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Blake ...if you're now looking at Discos, you might consider the 05' LR3. I believe the LR3 for that year (2005) was the first to get the 4.4 L Jag engine and if you were going to spend around $30K on an RR, you might find a nice LR3 with far lower miles for mid to upper $20Ks. It's worth looking into and I think the owners of LR3s are pretty happy with them.

Pads Fan