General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Alternator rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Alternator rattle

Ok, started this morning a loud rattling sound coming what seems from the alternator, usually I would think
this would have been a waterpump going out sound, but I can feel it from the alternator.

How hard is it to replace? Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loud Alternator rattle

Could it just be shot mounting at the bracket? Had that happen with mine and got quite the rattling sound til I remounted it.

If not, replacing it isn't too bad. Not much fun but shouldn't take too long. I'll send you the link to RAVE so you can look up the procedure.

Regards

Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Loud Alternator rattle

make sure its not the tensioner or the idler pulley that are both right below the alternator... really, considering the prices, id start off just doing those, youre looking a eighth of the price of a new alt. and might take care of the noise.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Drifting
Default Alternator again

I had a shop that has a good rep replace my alternator with a Bosch remanufactured one and all was good for 1 day, when you turn the key on it said alternator fault, they replaced it with another one, they said the first one was only putting out 30 amps when it should be puting out 120, well with the second one installed I still get the Alternator fault, the owner of the shop has now told me to drive it for a couple of days to see if it would go away.

Now after two days, it only comes on 1 out of 3 times..

I had the intake manifold gasket replaced and the valve cover gaskets replaced, no leaks with coulant, I also flushed out the trans and had BG synthetic put in and mobil 1 5w 40 in the engine. I also had the front right wheel hub bearings replaced.

I have more in parts and labor then I paid for it.. But it's a nice ride.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Gary, what year is it, is the belt tight?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Three Wheeling

can post info of ur truck?tnx

Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Drifting

It's a 1998 Range Rover 4.0 SE, the alternator fault light only is on with the key on, but then goes to my normal airbag fault, since I have not had that tracked down yet, well I actually had the dealer try but they said they needed more time.

When the engine is running I don't see the alternator fault, it's just when you first turn the key on, but then again maybe it would show up if the airbag fault was not on. Would it normaly scroll through more then one fault with the engine going?

Thanks for tips.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling

hmmmm, try to eliminate the airbag fault first to test it, have it reset, first

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

did the alt fault start after the intake was done? if so, they probably pinched a wire.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Default Alternator

Good question, the funny thing is after the intake manifold gasket was replaced they could not get the engine to start, they said a wire or two was broken and needed repare, they said it was the crankshaft position wire I believe.

I put a volt Ohm meter on the battery and I'm getting 12.85 volts with the engine off, and running it is showing 14.50 around.

I called the shop about the alternator fault and they told me to bring it in tomorrow, this is the 2nd Bosch 120 amp refurbed alternator.

Quick Reply: Loud Alternator rattle